Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jan 1995 10:59:48 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      Early Bus Engine Lid Idea

A while back I had an idea for using a locking T handle so's you could lock the engine lid on an early bus ('pre -64 +/-) The idea was to use the T handle from a rear hatch, which has a lock in it.

I dug up a T handle in my parts box, and did a test pit. Almost a perfect fit. The only thnk that isn't kosher is the engine lid has a small recess where the fancy chrome trim doo-dad goes around the base of the handle. The threaded portion comes out exactly the right length on the other end! All I need is a washer and a nut, ohh, and a key, and I'm in business!

I'm thinking of engineering a trim piece by taking a crome O piece and machining (filing) one side flat, and then finding some sort of rubber piece to act as a seal, and it would prolly look pretty close to stock. I certainly don't have to monkey with my priceless center brakelight engine lid!

Anyone ever had a key made for one of these handles?

Thom -- > Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life. ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................