Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jan 1995 9:06:02 -0500 (EST)
From:         Jonathan Dove - VAX Master <JDOVE@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu>
Subject:      Re: [F] Wacky Warning light

This message does not contain anything about VWs but is close in general. You may skip it if you want. ----------------------------------------------

The recent messages about the wacky temp light and the electical system reminds me about the set up on Volvos. Their engines are tilted toward the passenger side with the water temp sensor on the bottem of the head. The wire for the sensor rests on the block. Over time this the insulation breaks off and the bare wire makes contact with the block. This completes a full circuit which make the gauge go past the hot range and disappear. I have seen this happen on several cars so it just a matter of taping up the wire.

Well one night this happened to my brother's car several miles from home. He stopped and checked the water level by opening the cap. Since it was hot he lost a lot of water. He drove home and told me what had happend. I said that the temp was fine it was just the wire was bad. I also told him to let it cool and fill it later. He leaves for a date. Then at 1am I get a call that his car does not run. Fortunataly he stops at a gas station when he called. I go see his car and the first thing I see is steam rising and oil leaking. "Did you put water in it before leaving?" "No, I guess I forgot".

Anyway he still driving that car today. We had put in a rebuild engine and he has learned his lessen.

Jonathan jdove@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu