Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jan 95 13:28:55 AST
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: How to Replace Tach Light??

>From: smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith) > >> The bulb pulls out of this holder, and costs $0.99 anywhere fine automobile >> components are sold. Try this on an older Rabbit sometime, same bulb but it >> takes about 2 hours, to remove the instrument cluster, surrounding panel, >> fresh air duct, disconnect the speedo and wire harness. I kid you not. Just >> maybe VW learned something from this? tim s. > >Are you sure you are doing that right?

<snip>

Harrumph, I never said I was doing it right, having only done it once! But my gorilla hands would not reach the speedo cable nut without major contortions and scars from the stamped steel edges in the way. Also tried to get it off at the tranny, no go, and damned little slack to boot. I had to go in via the side air duct, fingertips only on the nut etc. Maybe it just seemed like 2 hours, cursing loudly while you work makes the time pass more slowly? Would I do it again? If the damned car hadn't been an automatic and I needed to see the speedo at night, never! Hell, I'll drive with a flashlight in my teeth, at least it'll stop me cursing. tim (time marches backwards) s.

PS: my wife recently wrote off this Rabbit. Tough little car, it killed a Ford Tempo and a steel guard rail on its way out of the world. Kind of like a rabid dog in full flight. No personal injuries on either side fortunately.