Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 04 Jan 1995 19:21:25 +0500
From:         anon869@vt.edu (Christopher Bridge)
Subject:      Re: ADVICE NEEDED.

>> Please advise on: >> 71 camper top bus, has no propane tank under door like I've seen before. >> Has 1 very well siezed motor, 1600 dp rebuilt once, and will need new heads, >> one has a spark plug hole >> which has been helicioled and blew out. >> Body good, little rust, one ding in door, but small. >> Can anyone ID. the vehicle for me- that is whats the type of camper? > >I'm not sure what you mean by "type of camper".. on a '71, if it >has a fiberglas top hinged in the front, with a tent and a single >cot up above, a sink, table, bed and closet inside with no stove, >it is probably a Westphalia Campmobile (check for a metal tag by >the bottom of the closet door), the most prevalent camper top bus, >as you put it. There were a couple of other firms which modified >VW busses into campers. If it is a one-piece fiberglas top with >windows, that doesn't tilt, it is probably one of these. > >What's most important it whether you are right for it, and is >it right for you. This sounds silly, but the people here will >tell you that keeping an old bus alive is a labor of love. Yeah, >other bussers will wave at you on the highway, and people at >McDonalds will tell you how neat the old bus is, but are you >ready to embrace the fact that you will be fighting a never-ending >battle with entropy, that you will go everywhere slowly, you >will always drive with at least one ear open for bad noises, >you will spend many weekends with the darn thing apart in a >million pieces while you try and track down the one piece they >haven't built in 20 years, &c &c &c....?? How important is heat >to you? If you live in a cold area, be prepared for arctic >conditons inside the bus.

Thanks Todd- I am currently the owner of a light cream (impossible to match paint) 76' Mercades Benz 300D. With 163K on the all original engine which has just sprung a leak from the front main seal. Here's the catch- you can't buy one seal... you have to buy the whole gasket set. Wanna know how much? $260. I know about hard to find parts and so on. It still has all orig. exhaust on it which needs to be replaced. Around $550 for parts alone!!

Until about 4 weeks ago the car had no blower motor. The heat had to be on par with that of a VW.

>Have you been around VWs much? Why do you want one? I'm not >trying to give you a hard time, but this is important. If >you've been lurking here for any time, you have a glimpse of >what it means to own an old VW. If you go for it, we'll all >be behind you and supportive, but we want you to know what >you're getting into! :->

When I was very young my dad rebuilt VW's all the time. He had a 64' bug and a 72' SB. I'm hooked.

>As for price, I paid $1550 for my '71 five years ago, with a >decent engine, so that price sounds pretty good to me. > >I don't mean to speak for this esteemed assembly, but I feel >pretty confident that my sentiment is fairly representative. > >Know also that everyone here will willingly give encouragement, >but you're the only one who can decide if it is right for you.

Thanks Chris Bridge.