Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jan 95 10:49:12 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Back from the Snow

I've fianlly finished reading the digests that accumulated while we were off playing in the snow. The snow / x-c skiing adventure was a big success and has a VW bus component as well since the vehicles used were out '74 camper and our friend's '91 "full-tilt-boogie" 2.1 liter Vanagon with the alloy wheels, air dams and all those other hot props. Marlin was sure he was going to smoke me on all those long hills up Hwy 180 to Kings Canyon and was not amused when it didn't happen - He used to drive a '68 bus and figured all the breadloaves were that slow. Other observations: It's easier to put chains on a Vanagon, there is more room around the tire (Somehow, I ended up putting the chains on BOTH vehicles). Those Vanagons sure are nice inside.

While waiting for Francesca to survive the check-out line at a supermarket, the kids and I headed over to the magazine rack for a little reading - In one of those "buyer-guide" kind of mags it said that the ONLY Eurovan available in '95 is the long wheelbase Euro-Bago and that it is only available at selected dealers. Furthermore, to get any portion of the camper part serviced or repaired it would have to be taken to a Winnebago dealer. They listed the curb weight at more that 4700 lbs.!; with 109 hp that results in a power to weight ratio of of 43.1 which is not all that far from the pwr./wt. ratios of past Westfalias. They described the performance as "glacial" - clearly, they haven't tried a Diesel Westy. The sad implication is that there will be no short wheelbase passenger only Dyslexivans for '95. Is this true?

I followed the thread on oil lights flickering in Vanagons and I have a few questions: Has anyone looked up the circuit to see where the pressure sensor is relative to the oil filter? If the sensor is between the pump and the filter, and a more restrictive filter is used it may turn off the light but it won't help lubricate bearings, etc. at all. Do any wasserboxer owners have an oil temp gauge fitted? After going throught the exercise of the wear index, one of my conclusions was that oil temp might be a problem on long freeway trips, especially in the Syncro. Hot, thin oil could be causing low pressure indications at idle. If the lights are going on when the engine is cold, it must be something else.

I also want to wish Gerry a happy belated birthday. At 34, be comforted by the fact that you are still young. Without revealing my age, I will mention that Francesca enjoyed pointing out that I was the oldest attendee at the recent Pizza gathering.

Lastly, I picked up a copy of the book that David Schwarze has recommended, "How to Rebuild your Air-Cooled VW Engine" and I am impressed with it. Very detailed, accurate and with lots of clear pictures. It's only $15.00 retail and could prove very helpful to someone doing a rebuild. Thanks David, I second your recommendation.

Best Regards,

Dave Kautz