Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 05 Jan 95 17:29:58 -0500
From:         jds@media.mit.edu
Subject:      HELP! FI Fuel Supply(?) Problems with 75 Westy in Phoenix

I'm pretty much stranded in Phoenix due to this little problem. The current situation is that when I cruise down the highway all is fine, but when I put a bit of a load on the motor it begins to crap out. I have to ease back on the peddle to keep the engine running. Generally at the top of a hill i'm doing between 25-35. This I can almost deal with. The problem arises when I exit the highway. When I get to the stop, the engine dies. If I wait from 10 minutes to 2 hours I can start it again. This is not good. I can crank all I like but it doesn't help.

The problems started a few weeks ago when I first fueled up in Phoenix. They use that nice oxygenated gas with great amounts of either alcohol or ethers in it. The next day I had some serious loss of power sometimes and others it would be not soo bad. I replaced the fuel filter and it acted better but within 5 miles the fuel pump seized up. Fortunately I was in the middle of nowhere... Things seemed ok, but not great. Still the lack of power problem.

I drove up north to Flagstaff this weekend (around 7 or 8000 foot gain in elevation) and the drive up was miserable with the car stalled every time I got off the highway, even on the way back down. As long as I kept driving it would keep going. Only if I let the engine rev too low would it die.

I took the beast to a local shop and they determined it was bad points. It was plausible, so all fixed I headed out to continue my journey (hiking in Sedona or ??). I got about 5 or so miles down the highway and the same thing happened, loss of power and it stalled when I pulled off the highway. I'm not scoring any brownie points with other drivers trying to get through the intersection at this point. 10 minutes later I was able to get it started and stuck to the side streets where it runs fine.

The shop says it has good pressure and all seems well. They don't know what to try next. Neither do I. The new fuel pump makes a good bit of whizzing noise but so did the old one..

Any ideas? Please respond to me directly; I receive the mailing list digested. I really like Phoenix, but I've been here tooo long.

thanks,

-- John