Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jan 1995 17:03:04 -0600 (CST)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Administrative ragging.

I'm home sick and in a bad mood, so I'm going to lecture the list. I've already sent a couple of personal messages, but just to save me some more ragging I'm going to say it here. The listserv is set up so that replies by default go to the list. There are a fair number of people who don't like that, but it makes the list what it is, and that's the way it's going to be. However, what that means is that if you reply to the list, you need to be conscious that the message you just got was ALREADY seen by the list members within the last 24 hours. Most people can remember basically what was said, so what I'm asking is that if you reply to a list message that you DON'T include the ENTIRE text of the message you are replying to. Please. End of rag.

Tip of the day. You come into work on a weekday and horror of horrors, there are only 72 messages in your inbox and only 70 of them are from the vanagon list!!! What's going on? Is the list down? Your first instinct is to dash a message off to Gerry, but you pause and remember this. On the vanagon gopher URL gopher://halfdan.med.umn.edu/11/Miscellaneous/Vanagon the first item is "Status of the Listserv" If you go to Status of the Listserv, it'll return two lines of stuff. If one of those lines is /home/halfdan/server/listserv/serverd -l 10 -e then the list is up and you can conclude that someone actually spent some time WORKING! (It's not true...they're just composing messages off line so they can post them in the evening).

Hope that's of value.

-- Gerry Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@med.umn.edu> U of MN Med School Admin 6-5379