Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jan 95 14:32:36 PST
From:         David.Kao@Eng.Sun.COM (David Kao)
Subject:      Re: Not another heater fan!!!...

Obviously your cooling fan overworked.

First of all, the cooling fan should not come on very often. If your fan came on very often and came on for a prolonged time then either your engine has been over heating or your temp sensor has been too sensitive. If the fan did get turned on too often and for too long it is likely to overwork its way to destruction, burnt brushes or windings. The cooling fan on my 83 vanagon seems never turned on except occasionally in a traffic jam.

The 2nd possibility is that you indeed have a wiring problem. There are 2 set of sensors for the cooling fan. One turns on the fan at a lower temp and there is a current limiting resister to limit the fan to spin at a slower rpm. The 2nd sensor kicks in at a higher temp and turns on the fan without the current limiting resister. Should the first sensor failed to turn on the fan the 2nd would cause the fan to work extra hard to cool the engine off. The fan will overwork if the 2nd sensor is always kicked in.

Goog luck.

David Kao