Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jan 1995 19:43:08 -0500 (EST)
From:         drahzal@c1south.convex.com (Matthew Drahzal)
Subject:      Re: 1982 Westy

(edited) > I found a 1982 Diesel Westphalia camper at a local VW dealer. > The acceleration on hills was weak, as expected. They're asking $4900 > should watch out for if I decided to buy, and lastly, how many miles can > welcome any and all comments/suggestions/tips. > Geoffrey Owen "Once a bum, always a bum."

Mr. Owen,

I am "Lord of the Diesel Expenses". Learn from me. It will save you money.

1) Get the engine checked carefully. Pay for a compression check at a good VW Shop. (Diesels take a special tester, and you have to pull the injector to do it.)

2) Get the engine checked for blow-by. Unless you want a condom covering your oil filler to keep the oil in. (Part of #1)

3) Look for oil leaks. If there is a great deal of blow-by, the seals will break.

A good diesel can run forever. The Gasoline version of the '82 was air-cooled. My Mechanic has a '82 air-cooled westy for sale for $4500-$5000, with 15K fewer miles (for price comparison sake)

Maintenance is low. Valve adjustments from time to time. Timing belts are critical, since if they break, Mr. Piston hits Mr. Valve. (I just had a $700 top-end overhaul on my replacement engine after timing belt problems). Oil changes more frequently...

Matthew '82 Diesel - NuBus drahzal@convex.com

p.s.First winter with NuBus, so far she has started even on cold mornings.