Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jan 1995 20:16:16 -0800 (PST)
From:         dworkin <dworkin@netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: VW-TIMING ON A '71 BUS

On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, Nick Pace wrote:

> I've got a '71 bus with about 90k miles on a GTX rebuild (about 240k miles > overall). It's a CA model and uses a 34 PICT with a vacc. retard & > advance distributor. I've traditionally set the timing to 0 TDC using a > timing strobe and all vacc. lines attached at 850 RPM and around 48 > degrees of dwell (gas is always Shell Super Unleaded).

The book (Bentley) says 42-58 degrees dwell with used points so you are good there, but it says 5 degrees AFTER TDC for timing at 800-900 RPM. Dave Kautz is right, TDC is already a touch "hot". +10 degrees and you will probably toast your engine. I think his idea of checking the advance over its entire range is a good one. The Bentley manual gives advances at 3 RPM points for the later distributors. If you don't have this book (and who among us can live without it?) post the part # off your distributor and I (or someone) will be happy to type in the specs for yours. Without doing a rebuild, about the only thing you can do to get more power is to keep it on spec. Especially important is to keep your valves adjusted. I always felt like I had an extra cylinder right after I brought my valves into spec.

> I bring all of > this up because my other mode of transportation is a '78 Fiat 124 > convertible (the Fiat and the Bus are alternately known as the "Dream > Team" or the "Scream Team") and I was advised recently to advance the > timing in the Fiat 10 degrees more than the factory manual states in order > to make it run smoother.

By a shop that sells rebuilt engines, no doubt? ;-)=

> The theory was that the engine was old (160k > miles and never a rebuild on that one though I did replace the heads > recently) and with its age one could, and should, advance the timing as > much as the engine would take without pinging under load. Don't know much > about the theory behind it (we only do social science -the ultimate > oxymoron- research here at RAND) but I do know that the Fiat does indeed > run better with 10 degrees of advance.

Is that "better" as in faster or "better" as in longer? I am not familiar with Fiats (I have only been involved in 2 tranny changes on X/19's) and I have heard that theory on timing, but we have always had good luck with the factory specs.

> > QUESTION: Should I also experiment with advancing the timing on the Bus?

No. Nyet. Nein. Not 'til you have read St. John of Muir cover to cover. Too much advance on VW engines causes molten VW engines.

Sorry to be so negative, but I have just put in a heck of a day trying to add a 3.5" floppy and a hard disk to an IBM PC (the original model 5150), and am real turned off at the momment towards trying to get machines to do things that were not included in the original design. (anyone need a supply of 3.5" 360K floppies?)

H Steven Dolan dworkin@netcom.com