Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jan 1995 17:58:30 -0800
From:         nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu (martha rubin)
Subject:      W pretour trip report

Ok, I'll start the ball rolling. The rest of you geeks, please add on, correct, etc.

The following were in attendance at the Big Sur orgy, Jan 6-8:

David Schwarze schwarze@nosc.mil Steve Johnson sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com Tobin Copley tobin@unixg.ubc.ca Bill Abbott wabbott@townshend.corp.megatest.com Jeff Schneiter jeffs@almaden.ibm.com Steve Wall wall@mcm.com Dave Garth dgarth@cymbal.calpoly.edu Martha Rubin nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu John Huguenard hugie@lindy.stanford.edu

The Copley's drove from Canada, making this the first part of their forthcoming 3 month vacation around the US. David Schwarze drove from San Diego. Dave Garth is from San Luis Obispo, the Johnson's from Sacramento, and I believe the rest from the Bay Area (or at least sort of). We expected up to 10-12 more cars, but the weather conditions were horrible, and my server was down for most of the week prior to the event, so some communications was lost.

The drive from Carmel south to Big Sur (about 26 miles) was the worst many of us had ever encountered. There were reports of wind gusts up to 55 mph, it was very cold, and depending on the time, torrents of rain. And of course dark, to boot, plus in a remote area, so all rather high-thrill mode!

People arrived in stages. Unfortunately some of the ones we really needed for complete gourmet cuisine couldn't make it, or make it on time, and so we had to make do, but that in itself was a great deal of fun. Linda Johnson saved the culinary day at least once per meal. She and Steve carry absolutely EVERYTHING in their van.

Some people had to leave on Saturday, but not before a super neato tour of people's mods. My prize goes to Dave Garth, for a built-in installed ducted and vented catalyic propane heater, and the killer: his onboard entine-heated hot water system, complete with exterior shower. This is WAY better than a Winnebago.

Dave Schwarze carried thru on the ingenious plan of inverting a clay flower pot over his propane stove, extruding wonderful heat. We were all muddy, wet, freezing cold, etc., and many an hour was spent in his warm bubbletop playing pictionary, card games, and ingesting various sub..(oops, never mind).

The Copley's have a non-original gas heater installed on their '76 to keep warm, but it was not working unfortunately. They took Jeff Schneiter back to near Santa Cruz, to stay overnite there, and to be able to work on the heater in the morning.

John Hugenard installed a power inverter - hardwired behind his electric socket in his '81 westy, so that he could for example run his electric coffee grinder, even though Pfeiffer Big Sur had no electric hookups. I'm VERY envious of this, John!

Jeff Schneiter didn't have a car yet, so rode to the event with Bradley M, in his cool split window. Bradley kept us warm chopping wood and making great campfires. Thanks, all the guys, for all that woodsplitting! Thanks, too, Jeff for the wonderful 24 egg omlet, even though by the time I got back from the showers you'd eaten it all...

Bill Abbott just purchased his bus, and is I believe having an engine made/reubilt for it, so came and slept in his corrado. He said it was comfortable enough to dream in, so maybe some of you bus wannabes should reconsider! Bill seemed to be taking a lot of snapshots, so maybe he can get together with one of you web/scanner types, and post the video portions of our trip, that non-westerners may enjoy, too.

The Hugenards and the Walls brought two of the smartest dogs my daughter Sarah has ever encountered; she was sorry they both had to leave early. And David S, Bradley M, and Jeff S, (not to mention everybody else) - thanks for entertaining Sarah, who can't wait to go on the next event.

There was a group concensus to do this sort of thing 4-6 times per hear, perhaps next time in the desert. Any takers? Dates? Places? Will do what I can to help organize.

The greatest image of all was on Saturday and Sunday, with 5 cars remaining, we parked them all as close together as possible, tarped over as much as we could, and had our own little VW row house city. Personally, this used up most of the film in my camera.

Bradley M brought his cellular, which, being new for him, had unlimited free local calls and airtime on the first month, so this was quite helpful for communication, fun, etc.

The food was good, although we ate fish chower for two nites in a row, and pancakes for two breakfasts in a row. We had some fun interludes of hot mulled wine, irish whiskey, a LOT of beer (god, I still can't believe how much you guys drink, and that you drink COLD beer in freezing weather!). There was a wild popcorn throwing party one evening in my van, but I think this was pretty tame compared to some of the other stuff going on.... ;)

Ok, attendees, what have I left out?

/martha