Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jan 1995 12:57:40 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: W pretour trip report

Steve Johnson writes: > > Well, I'm interested. Can you estimate the number of hours to travel > from Sac. as well as the number of hours from a point in the bay > area so I know how much travel time I need to account for?

Red Rock looks to be about 350 miles from both San Francisco and Sacramento. All interstate.

I also know another place that is really nice, but it is in the mountains instead of the desert. It is in the Inyo National Forest just East of the Tule River Indian Reservation. There is a beautiful campground there called Peppermint and a great hike nearby to an overlook point, which consists of a small house perched on top of a large rock. It is really an amazing sight - worth the whole trip just to see it. This place is 225 miles of interstate from SF and Sac and then about 40 miles of (sometimes) steep winding mountain highway. Anyone else been here? Oh the campgrounds at Peppermint and Red Rock have pit toilets and no showers, but are only a few dollars a night. They are very clean though, especially Red Rock.

> The reason I'm asking is because I don't think I can afford any > more vacation days if I want to do the N. American tour later > in May. Sooo... I don't want too long of a drive just for a > weekend.

No kidding. My odometer reads 880 miles more than it did last Thursday. Good thing I was able to listen to the Chargers game on the radio or I would have been really bored on the drive back... :)

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================