Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jan 1995 21:26:56 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      '56 kombi - transmission: day 3/?

Waaaaaaahhhhh!

Today I took the side plate off (again), cleaned it all up, gooped it up, stuck it on, and let it fester for 3 hours while I did some errands.

Put the fluid back in, and it still leaks :( :( :(

So I said to hell with it, I have to get this thing out of the garage and get on with my life (for now) so I stuck the motor back in and got another rude surprise.

Before I tell you what that surprise is, I must say that I must be the absolute king of motor installation. Tonight I did it in the DARK! I was getting it lined up, laying on my side under the bus, pulling the motot on the jack closer to the bus, when the lights went out. I've had a problem all weekend, with the heaters and lights and all, I kept blowing the circuit breaker (only 15A) So there I am, under the bus, motor in one hand, and a useless light in the other. So I just pulled the motor and CLUNK, jammed it home. Whooomp! There it is!

Anyway, the rude shock bit. I get this puppy together, and I go to start it, and I soon realise that I don't have a neutral. Minor detail. At this point, I can't even push the bus out of the garage. Sh*t!

After checking with my info sources, it appears that I may have one or more of the following problems:

A) Bum tranny. I had a sinking feeling of this earlier, because when I rotated one wheel, the other rotated in the SAME direction. THis it not the way it's s'posd to work, unless you have a limited slip differential (yeah, right!) Try it sometime, and you'll see what I mean - I don't have the space here to explain how a differential works, but I do know how it does.

B) Incorrectly installed nose cone, resulting in the tranny being in 2 gears at once. Possible, but I was concious of the potential problems here from the get-go, so this should be OK. Never know, tho.

C) Warped side plate on the trans itself, which would explain the constant leaking. I have done 5 or so of these before, and never, ever had one leak. Until now, I didn't even think it was possible. This may also be a symptom of an incorrectly installed rear carrier.

So now I am resigned to actually taking the whole mess apart again, but I hope at the very least I won't have to crack open the reduction boxes. If this trannyis toast, then I will, though :( The weekend after the big trip, I'll yank it out and check the nosecone install - if thats OK, then I'll RMA the tranny.

If anyone else has any ideas or experience in these matters, I'm all ears!

Thanks for your patience! Thom -- > I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar. ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................