Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jan 95 08:19:54 MST
From:         lytle@noao.edu
Subject:      Arizona (New Mexico?) Bus Bash

Ok, here's the list I have of people in AZ:

(we might want to take this discussion out of the vanagon list once we know that all the AZ and/or NM people are listening.)

Dyer Lytle (Tucson) (me!) lytle@noao.edu

Todd R. Schroeder (Phoenix) todds@sunnet.chotel.com

Dave Phillips (Tucson) phillips@aries.tucson.saic.com

Dave Black (Sedona) dblack@argus.lowell.com

Seems like there was someone else over at UMC who was asking me about carburation problems recently, can't find the mail file tho....

What about NM people? I think there was only one, probably in Albuquerque... (anyone remember how to get this info from this listserver?)

Todd sez:

> While we're discussing that neck of the woods, how about Tuweap > (aka Toroweap) on the Arizona Strip. Do you know the place? > It's smack dab in the middle of the Grand Canyon. The camping > area is basically one big rock. Only major drawback is that > it's about 65 miles of dirt road from Fredonia, AZ, and if > one is prone to sleepwalking, there's about a 3000 foot drop, > but a cool photo op!

Never been there myself, heard of it though. Sounds nice but it might take quite a while to get there with that 65 mile dirt road drive.

> Sound good to me -- is Peppersauce (outside Oracle) still there? > I though it may have been gobbled up by the Biosphere. I still > like the Chiricahuas, like over Memorial day......

Peppersauce is still there, gets overrun with ghetto-blaster toting teens quite a bit in the summer, might be OK this time of year, and there is great mountain biking there too!

Yep, I like the Chiricahuas too but its not very central, a long trip for Dave Black. (I specially like the east side!)

Dave Black sez:

> Hey Dyer and Todd (and anybody else, for that matter), if you guys are > serious about this, I'd like to get in on it. I don't know much about > AZ yet, though, so I can't make many recommendations. There's also the > little problem of my Bus being holed up in my garage, and not wanting > to come out! Hopefully I can get it fixed soon (don't know whats wrong > yet), but if not, I'd use one of my other cars (yes, I admit to owning > something other than VW's and Volvos!) However, if you choose a spot > close enough to Oak Creek, I can probably *push* it there!

Hmmm, Oak Creek Canyon is really nice even in winter. Of course there are Mogollon rim areas, white mountains, etc. A ski/camping trip? Sunset crater area is nice in winter although cold!

So, who is seriously interested in some sort of AZ get-together? Or AZ/NM? Or AZ/NM/CO/UT :-) ? The Four-corners bus bash!

-Dyer

Dyer Lytle, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ, 602-323-4136 Internet: lytle@noao.edu WWW: http://iraf.noao.edu/~lytle/lytle.html