Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jan 95 17:58:11 EST
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: Speaking of heater fans...

The fan JC witless sells is indeed a Marina fan so that is why I suggested going directly to the source. The upside of said installation: reasonable heat flow at all speeds including idle. Can work in conjunction with post 79 fans to boost even further the heat to the windshield. Easy to install, variable speed. Allows the original heater box flow to function un impeded. If mounted ahead of the hetaer vent to the rear footwell, the system will recircualte the interior heat (something unheard of in air cooled VWs). What it does is draw air from the interior from the rear footwell as well as from the heater boxes and up and out the front so warm interior air is mixed with hot air from boxes.

Down side: noise; draws air unlike all OEM vw designs that push air. The difference is significant as noted before. Drawing air means that all air, including leaks and exhaust will be drawn from the rear through the heater pipes. Pushing air via a fan mounted to say the alternator does not permit this. This may be why VW didn't mount hot air fans up front, because of the possibility that fumes would be sucked into the car. The uphsot? make sure your heater boxes are perfectly sealed if you install an inline fan.

BTW re: the silver secret: the conclusions seem to be that we do not what its purpose was exactly, but that it appears in vehicles up to 1983, both diesels and air-cooled (but not water cooled) and in two different locations; first under the dash and then on the dash.

DC Sami Dakhlia writes: > > >....does anyone have any experience with the fan that fits > >in the tube from the back to the front which is supposed to > >help get heat in to the poor little bus (pre-80)? I know you > > I picked up an inline fan from boating store at a marina. I think it's > original purpose is to pump fumes out of gas tanks before you start your > boats engine. Diameter is 4" and it draws 3.8 amps. They hooked it up to a > battery and I was impressed with the performance. It's also relatively > quiet. Also, it only cost $19.75! JC Whitney's is $70 and I heard it's not > too good. (The idea of getting the fan from a boating store came from > someone on this list, but I can't remember who.) > > I have not yet had a chance to install it on my 75 bus, but will do so as > soon as it get's a bit warmer (wish I had a garage!). > > -- > Sami Dakhlia > Dept. of Economics > Washington-University-in-St.Louis In theory, communism works. In THEORY. > dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu -Homer Simpson >

--

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------