Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jan 95 14:56:49 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      road test: 1980/82 Vanagon (real long)

Volkswagen Vanagon - A delightful combination of van and wagon for the Eighties Road & Track, July 1980

Quarter-billion-dollar spending programs are not all that unusual in the automobile industry, but the fact that Volkswagen spend more than that on the Vanagon might strike some observers as curious. However, VW is not a company given to flights of fancy in dealing with money, and the tremendous investment in producing the latest Transporter (the official factory name) is considered well spent. While the American market will have only two versions, the Vanagon (in 7- and 9-seat models as well as the bare-interior Kombi) and Vanagon Camper, Europe and other markets have a wide variety of models including commercial configurations, a high-bed pickup, a double-cab pickup, etc.

Speculation was rampant that this third version of the VW van (the model was introduced in 1949 and a major revision followed in 1967) would be totally different from its predecessors and could be powered by a water- cooled version of the VW Rabbit inline 4-cylinder engine. But, while VW says the Vanagon is new from the ground up, the drivetrain is a carryover and represents the last bastion of VWs built in the homeland with air-cooled, pancake engines.

VW's primary goal in designing the Vanagon was to offer the best features of a van and station wagon in a single vehicle. With that set of parameters in mind, an in-depth study of drivetrain configurations was undertaken. As reported in "Transporter Tradition Triumphs," R&T, September 1979, 12 possible drivetrain configurations were considered before the decision was made to continue with the traditional rear- engine/rear-drive layout. The engine, then, is the same 1970-cc overhead-valve flat-4 as before with Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection. It develops 67 bhp (SAE net) at 4200 rpm and 101 lb-ft torque at 3000, which propels the Vanagon along in reasonable fashion considering its roughly 3500-lb test weight: 0 - 60 mph in 21.2 seconds; the quarter- mile run covered in 21.5 sec at a speed of 60.5 mph. Clearly, this is not acceleration that will elicit gasps of glee, but it does permit the Vanagon to keep up with everyday, around-town traffic. The engine's driveability is exemplary; it starts immediately whether hot or cold and runs smoothly without surging or stumbling. A word of caution needs to be added with regard to fueling the Vanagon. Behind the rear license plate frame is a capped oil filler tube, and one of our editors discovered an inattentive attendant pumping gasoline into it! An extensive crankcase flushing put things right, but Vanagon drivers, beware: Careless attendants may miss the fuel filler near the right front door and zero in at the rear. The point, by the way, of the license plate hatch is to allow oil-level checks without having to remove the engine access hatch, part of the cargo floor.

The 4-speed transaxle is located a considerable distance away from the shift lever, but VW has many years' experience with long-distance linkage and most staffers rated the shifting characteristics of the Vanagon quite good -- one, however, found selecting 1st and occassional contest of wills when making quick gear changes at stoplights. The transmission's ratios seem to fall into two distinct categories, with 1st and 2nd designed for acceleration, a large gap between 2nd and 3rd, and the top two ratios made for cruising -- especially 4th which is an overdrive ratio of 0.88:1. The final drive ratio is a rather low one -- 4.57:1 -- which further aids acceleration. There is an optional 3-speed automatic transmission too, and with it the final drive ratio is 4.09:1.

What's different about the Vanagon, though, is the new body, and the cleaner, crisper styling results in a better looking van. Some may find the Vanagon doesn't have the charm of the older VW bus design, but the familial resemblance is there and along with it are a number of improvements. Starting at the front, the shape is more aerodynamically efficient despite its angular appearance, and VW claims a drag coefficient of 0.44 (Remember, though, drag is a function of this coefficient TIMES frontal area.) The windshield is 21 percent larger than that of the previous Transporter and there is a 22-percent increase in side window glass area -- the larger greenhouse results in excellent outward vision in all directions. The space between the front seats leading to the passenger area in the rear is 15 percent larger, as is the sliding side door (which Volkswagen was the first to use on vans, by the way). Moving rearward, the luggage compartment's 36.6-cu-ft volume over the engine box is 40 percent larger than previously because the compartment's floor has been lowered 7.9 in. The rear hatch is 75 percent larger than before and the rear window is 50 percent greater in size, affording considerably improved rear vision.

Outside, the Vanagon is not much different in size from its predecessor except it's 3.3 in. wider. The track has also grown 6.9 in. in front and 4.5 in. at the rear, so both ends now measure 61.8 in., and the wheelbase is 2.4 in. longer than before. The wider track and increased wheelbase are designed to give the Vanagon greater stability than its predecessors, as well as help reduce susceptibility to crosswinds by moving the center of gravity ahead of the body's center of pressure. Obviously, the Vanagon's slab sides make it subject to side-wind buffeting and one staff member experienced this firsthand on a rainy night with wind gusts running 25-50 knots. As expected, the Vanagon was a handful, but so were all the other vans he observed as they danced along the freeway. Nonetheless, VW has greatly improved the Vanagon in this area compared to previous Transporters.

The Vanagon features completey new front suspension using unequal-length A-arms, variable-rate coil springs, tube shocks and an anti-roll bar in place of the previous trailing arms and torsion bars. The rear suspension no longer features torsion bars, but now uses progressive- rate coil springs with semi-trailing arms and tube shocks. The all- independent suspension provides handling characteristics that are better than one might expect when looking at this box on wheels. There is a goodly amount of body roll during hard cornering, but the wider track provides a sure-footedness on winding roads that is perfectly respectable. Even at relatively high speeds - 80-plus mph - the Vanagon is very stable and the rack-and-pinion steering is quite precise and provides the driver with a good feel for what the front wheels are doing. Even without power-assist, the steering effort is never too heavy and low-speed maneuvering is not a muscle-flexing chore.

Volkswagen's chassis engineers have achieved a pleasant balance between the ride and handling characteristics. There is compliance and abundant wheel travel, resulting in a ride that is firm, controlled and yet still comfortable, without the jarring aspects common to U.S. vans with solid rear axles. Dips and rough stretches of pavement are not cause for alarm and the Vanagon acquits itself very well indeed when the going gets tough.

One of the characteristics of driving a van that can be somewhat unsettling to the novice is that you sit quite high. While that's great for observing what's taking place around you, it can be a bit disconcerting in hard cornering or heavy braking situations. No cause to worry in the VW, however, as we found the control excellent in our simulated panic stops from 60 mph. The brakes were easily modulated to maintain maximum effectiveness and there was virtually no tendency for either front or rear brakes to lock during this test. The distance, 165 ft, was very good, and the amount of fade in our six stops from 60 mph was not excessive, with pedal pressure going from 28 lb to 38 by the sixth stop. The pedal pressure was nearing the limit of effective- ness by that point, however. Thus the Vanagon didn't earn an "excellent" overall brake rating, but it does merit a "very good." Unfortunately, the Vanagon's leisurely rate of acceleration above 60 mph prevented us from doing our panic-stop test from 80 mph because of lack of straightaway at the test track.

In keeping with Volkswagen's stated purpose of offering a combination of van and station wagon in the Vanagon, the interior design, finish and accommodation blend in a pleasing mixture of van and car. Several staff members commented that driving the Vanagon was similar to being at the wheel of a Rabbit, and that this latest Transporter is more like a car than a bus. The interior is nicely finished with only an occasional sign of cost-saving in materials. There is carpeting that has a nice look and helps with sound deadening, but in our test model it was not fastened down securely in a couple of spots. The vinyl used for seat covering and door panels, as well as other surfaces, seems to be of high quality, has a nice appearance and should hold up well based on previous experience with VW vans and cars. There are a number of small touches to the Vanagon interior that we appreciate, such as the five passenger- assist handles at strategic locations for ingress/egress, a deep, usable glovebox, map pockets in the front doors, day/night mirror and vent windows up front. The individual front seats have a 25-percent greater range of adjustment, according to VW, and can be adjusted for seatback angle. The rear bench seats are comfortable and in our particular test model will accommodate five passengers in luxury. Another seating layout accommodates nine people, while the Kombi version has two front seats and a relatively sparse cargo area which the buyer can arrange to his liking; the Westfalia-Werke Camper model is fitted with a convertible sofa bed, table, cabinets and a pantry, while the deluxe camper has a refrigerator and a 2-burner stove.

In addition to the greater cargo space behind the rear seat, the new Vanagon's interior roominess has been enhanced by a combination of lowering the floor and more spare roof design, with the result that the entire interior seems cavernous and airy. Also, the middle bench seat can be removed and the rear one folded down to add another 72.3 cu ft of cargo volume (by our measurement technique which still leaves adequate rear vision once packed). For walking around room, ferrying all the kids in the neighborhood to the playground or setting up a commuter carpool, the Vanagon is the ideal choice.

We had quite a mystery for a short spell when it came to the ventilation system -- it turns out that a 3-speed fan for boosting airflow is optional, which seems downright stingy in a nearly $10,000 vehicle. Our test model didn't have the fan, so heat is distributed by heat exchangers and engine revs only. Fresh air ventilation is effective through well placed dash outlets but they don't carry heated air. And there is virtually no air movement, fresh or heated, when the Vanagon is staionary.

Nearly all of our drivers praised the Vanagon's driving position and control layout, although one commented that he would like the shift lever bent back toward the driver a little more. Sitting up so high combined with the increase window glass area gives the driver a marvelous panoramic view. The driver doesn't sit quite as close to the absolute front limit of the van as with previous models, because more than 3.0 in. have been added ahead of the front wheels along with a larger bumper for greater crash protection. The noise level is quite low for a van, aided by the rear location of the engine and the excellent job of sealing around doors and windows.

All in all, the Vanagon is a major improvement over its predecessors and, in our opinion, maintains VW's position as the manufacturer of the world's leading van. During the period when we were testing the Vanagon, we also had occasion to drive several U.S.-built vans and we found them lacking in the level of sophistication that distinguishes the Vanagon. Admittedly, the domestic vans do have a price advantage of roughly $1000-$2000 when equipped in a similar fashion, but direct comparison is impossible because of the major design differences. The VW's independent suspension, effective use of space, quality of fit and finish -- even something that seems as simple as the sliding side door, which works so smoothly on the VW and is so ponderous on the domestics -- are features that have endeared VW van owners to this box on wheels for years. The Vanagon version, while it may take some getting used to and perhaps lack some of the charm of the older, softer, more rounded design, is a vehicle with the attributes of its predecessors and innovations of the future. While its level of acceleration may deter those who seek more abundant horsepower, and its fuel efficiency is no longer head and shoulders above the domestics (thanks to reduced engine displacements and fuel-economy-designed gear ratio combinations in American vans), the Volkswagen Vanagon represents the state of the art in van design and execution. And, perhaps more importantly, sets the standard for multi-purpose vehicles that are sure to come in the years ahead. There seems to be little doubt that current domestic van configurations are going to be changing, and that several Japanese manufacturers are considering small-scale utility vehicles that can carry five or more passengers and luggage. The VW van, as it has been since its inception, is clearly the leader in technological development in its class.

PRICE ENGINE List Price, all POE ....... $9900 Type ................... ohv flat 4 Price, as tested .......... $10,190 Bore x stroke, in ..... 3.70 x 2.80 Price as tested includes mm ..... 94.0 x 71.0 AM/FM/stereo cassette ($290) Displacement, cu.in ........... 120 cc ............. 1970 IMPORTER Compression ratio ........... 7.3:1 Volkswagen of America, Inc. Bhp @ rpm, SAE net ...... 67 @ 4200 27621 Parkview Blvd KW ........... 50 @ 4200 Warren, Mich. 48092 Torque @ rpm, lb-ft .... 101 @ 3000 Nm ....... 137 @ 3000 GENERAL Equivalent mph ............... 57 Curb Weight, lb/kg .. 3290 ... 1494 Equivalent kph ............... 92 Test Weight ......... 3510 ... 1594 Fuel injection ... Bosch K-Jetronic Weight dist (with driver), Fuel requirement .. unleaded 91-oct f/r, % ................... 55/45 Exhaust-emission control equipment: Wheelbase, in./mm ... 96.8 ... 2460 3-way catalytic converter Track, front ........ 61.8 ... 1570 (Calif. only) rear ......... 61.8 ... 1570 Length ............. 179.9 ... 4570 DRIVETRAIN Width ............... 72.6 ... 1844 Transmission .......... 4-sp manual Height .............. 77.2 ... 1960 Gear ratios: Ground Clearance ..... 8.5 .... 216 4th (0.88) ............... 4.02:1 Overhang, front ..... 46.5 ... 1181 3rd (1.26) ............... 5.76:1 rear ...... 36.6 ... 930 2nd (2.06) ............... 9.41:1 Trunk space, 1st (3.78) .............. 17.27:1 cu. ft ... 36.6+49.4+22.9 Final drive ratio .......... 4.57:1 liters .... 1037+1399+649 Fuel capacity, CHASSIS & BODY U.S.gal/liters.... 15.9 .... 60 Layout ..... rear engine/rear drive Body/frame ............. unit steel ACCOMODATION Brake system, Seating capacity, persons ....... 7 10.9-in. (278-mm) discs front, Head room, f/m/r, 9.9x2.2-in. (252x55-mm) drums in. ............. 40.5/44.0/44.0 rear; vacuum assisted mm .............. 1029/1118/1118 Swept area, sq. in ......... 453 Seat width, Wheels .... steel disc, 14 x 5-1/2J in. ......... 2 x 21.0/44.0/44.0 Tires...Continental TS771, 185SR-14 mm ........... 2 x 533/1092/1651 Steering type ....... rack & pinion Seat back adjustment, deg. .... 30 Overall ratio ............ 22.3:1 Turns lock-to-loc .......... 3.75 INSTRUMENTATION Turning circle, ft ........ 34.5 Instruments: 85-mph speedo, m ......... 10.5 99,999 odo, 999.9 trip odo, Front suspension: fuel level, clock unequal-length A-arms, coil Warning lights: oil press., brake springs, tube shocks, anti-roll system, ignition, oxygen sensor, bar hazard, high beam, directionals Rear suspension: semi-trailing arms, coil springs, MAINTENANCE tube shocks Service interval, miles: Oil/filter change ...... 7,500 CALCULATED DATA Chassis, lube .......... none Lp/bhp (test weight) ......... 52.3 Tuneup ................. 15,000 Mph/1000 rpm (4th gear) ...... 19.0 Warranty, mo/mi ......... 12/20,000 Engine revs/mi (60 mph) ...... 3150 Piston travel, ft/mi ......... 1470 R&T steering index ........... 1.29 Brake swept area, sq in./ton.. 258

ROAD TEST RESULTS ACCELERATION FUEL ECONOMY Time to distance, sec: Normal driving, mpg .......... 16.5 0 - 100 ft ................. 3.9 Cruising range, mi (1-gal res) 246 0 - 500 ft ................. 11.2 0 - 1320 ft (1/4 mi) ....... 21.5 HANDLING Speed at end of 1/4 mi, mph .. 60.5 Lateral accel., 100-ft radius, Time to speed, sec: in g. ....................... na 0 - 30 mph ................. 5.0 Speed thru 700-ft slalom, mph .. na 0 - 50 mph ................. 13.7 0 - 60 mph ................. 21.2 INTERIOR NOISE Idle in neutral, dBA ........... 56 SPEEDS IN GEARS Maximum, 1st gear .............. 74 4th gear (4600 rpm) .......... 88 Constant 30 mph ................ 69 3rd (5200) ................... 68 50 mph ....................... 75 2nd (5200) ................... 41 70 mph ....................... 81 1st (5200) ................... 23

SPEEDOMETER ERROR 30 mph indicated is actually.. 30.1 60 mph ....................... 60.5

BRAKES Minimum stopping distances, ft: Control in panic stop ... excellent From 60 mph ............... 164 Pedal effort for 0.5g stop, lb.. 28 From 80 mph ............... na Fade: percent increase in pedal Parking: hold 30% grade? ..... no effort to maintain 0.5g Overall brake rating .... very good deceleration in 6 stops from 60 mph .............. 35 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Extended-Use Report: VW Vanagon at 12,000 miles Terrific utility, but is it reliable? Road & Track, April 1983

It's been our custom to maintain at least two, and perhaps three, cars in our extended-use vehicle collection. Currently, that means our beloved 1979 Mazda RX-7 and a spirited 1982 Alfa Romeo GTV 6/2.5. Both are terrific fun and in constant demand, but we wanted something practical for balance. One staffer seems to enjoy hauling an amateur hockey team around and the less sporting among us are called upon to help move various objects such as a pump organ, a Lotus 7 frame, an art exhibit and the occasional Benjamin ficus. And some of us enjoy getting together with as many family members as possible and going on jaunts: This might include spending a day at the Huntington Library, or loading everyone up and batting up to Oregon. In Volkswagen's modern, functional Vanagon there looked to be our best choice for a new member of the team. When we took delivery of our blue GL in May 1982, we wondered if it would prove economical, reliable and fun to drive as the miles accumulated -- 12,000 as of now.

First, economy. Using our calculations of cost per mile as a definition of the term, economy begins with the base price. In our case, we actually lease the vehicle, but had it been purchased as received, the bill would have read $11,360 (sans delivery charges and taxes, which can vary regionally). Our only options were an AM/VM stereo/cassette unit ($325) and the elaborate overhead air conditioning system ($1125). Next, we must consider our Vanagon's current resale value and the KELLY BLUE BOOK pegs that at $10,125 (conservatively). The difference is a depreciation of $2685.

Under fuel consumption, we can report our somewhat heavy-footed driving manners have caused our Vanagon to deliver 18.5 mpg on average, quite good considering its barnlike frontal area and 3290-lb curb weight. Compared with our original Vanagon road test results (July 1980), the present long-term testing has yielded a 2.0-mpg improvement. It might be that this engine is benefiting from being fully broken-in; anyway, the total fuel bill comes to $942.

And as for maintenance, Volkswagen's specified schedule for the test period has meant two checkups: the first being on-the-house at 1000 miles; the second, a routine 7500-mile service that cost us a reasonable $35.13. The total for depreciation, fuel and maintenance costs (omitting insurance) comes to $3662.13, which means an average operating cost of 30.5 cents/mile for these first 12,000 miles. This is a very high figure, three times that of the Mazda RX-7, for example (see 48,000-mile report, R&T, December 1982). But don't be fooled by the comparison.

The Vanagon is actually a mini-bus, after all. With seven roomy seats in our GL version, the interior's utility quotient is enormous. Indeed, if you have reason to haul several people around regularly, the cost per mile analysis is deceptive. And also notice that a major culprit in the cost equation is the sizable early rate of new car depreciation -- which, of course, is not exclusive to Vanagons.

Reliability: Early on, there were a few teething problems: The a/c lost its Freon charge, and later one of the unit's pulleys worked loose. These are not uncommon occurances and both were quickly fixed under warranty. However, soo a rash of quirky electrical troubles broke out. First, a simple electrical connector came loose, and because it is the ground for both the fuel pump and fuel management computer, this mishap stranded van and driver until the elusive connector was discovered. Next, it refused to start at a high altitude where a tow truck was needed to restore the Vanagon and people to lower ground and where the bus started readily the next morning; no one seemed to know why. Further, on the same trip, the driver's side window winder broke as did a clip that holds a windshield visor -- small, but irritating problems.

The third air conditioner-related malfunction came at about the 10,000- mile point when the unit threw its belt while out on the road. And five days later, it was the electrical systems' turn again, this time completely shutting down while crossing a California desert. This entailed a 48-mile tow to the nearest Volkswagen dealer, where strangely the system (again) sprang back to health unaided, no trace of the ailment detectable to the mystified mechanics. Clearly, the earlier electrical troubles had not been left at high elevations. Trying to limp home, the Vanagon did 85 miles before stopping once more and, again in tow, it was off this time to a different Volkswagen dealer. Amazingly, it took them two months to locate the fault, obtain parts (a fuel pump relay, distributor rotor and ignition coil) and implement the fix. Later we learned that this dealer had given up business so perhaps other troubles added to the delay. Yet, it should be pointed out that all replacements and service costs were picked up by the warranty.

So if the Vanagon's reliability has been spotty, is driving it still fun? The answer is yes without hesitation. It has a lot to do with the basic control's offering a delightful directness of feel. On the road, the bus responds accurately to the driver's wishes, somehow managing to belie its outward sheet-metal barn-like look. And, it has been a part of many enjoyable excursions: It has been used to camp out in at races, visit the Oregon Sea Lion Caves, stop at every weaving shop and used book store from here to Eugene and go through the California wine country several times. We look forward to the next 12,000 miles and hope that our Vanagon's reliability improves.

VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON GL Overall Costs & Costs per Mile for 12,000 Miles Delivered price........................................ $12,810.00 Gasoline (unleaded, average of 18.5 mpg) .............. 942.00 Routine maintenance, by the book ...................... 35.13 Total expenditure ................................ $13,872.13

Resale value at end of test period (est. wholesale) ... 10,125.00

Cost of driving 12,000 miles........................... 3,662.13 Overall cost per mile for 12,000 miles ........... $0.305 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Extended-Use Report: Volkswagen Vanagon at 24,000 miles Versatile people and object hauler Road & Track, December 1983

We admit this 24,000-mile report is somewhat anticlimatic. If you're inspired to run off to your local Volkswagen dealer to buy a new Vanagon like ours, you'll be disappointed: there aren't any more. The air-cooled van has been superseded by the water-cooled Vanagon Wasserboxer (R&T, June 1983). But this report isn't all that pointless, because only the engine is changed. The rest of the water-cooled Vanagon is the same boxy vehicle the R&T staff has come to know and respect during the past year. And, as it turns out, the air-cooled engine was the primary source of our complaints about the Vanagon anyway.

During the first 12,000 miles (R&T, April 1983) our Vanagon seemed to be infested with Black Forest gremlins that loved to play tricks with the electrical system. Coy little creatures, they always struck at the most inopportune times, like when the VW was at the summit of a mountain in a national park, or in the midst of the Mojave Desert. Then, after lengthy tows back to civilization, in this case defined as any burg with a Volkswagen dealer, the gremlins would immediately stop their shenanigans, leaving the Vanagon running perfectly, much to the befuddlement of both the driver and dealer mechanic.

We've since learned that our Vanagon was not unique in this respect. Readers and dealer service managers tell us that other Vanagons have these strange, intermittent electrical power losses, too. Indeed, in recent years Volkswagens in general, including Rabbits and Sciroccos, have been plagued with electrical system malfunctions. The problems are rarely serious in that they don't require extensive parts replace- ments, but they do render the car inoperative and are time-consuming to trace.

With the Vanagon, there doesn't seem to be any single cause: both the electrical fuel injection (Bosch L-Jetronic) and, more likely, the electronic ignition (with a Hall distributor) can be the culprits. Gordon Cline and Andy Vaughn, two capable fellows in the service department at Commonwealth Volkswagen in Santa Ana, California, try to isolate the problem with a procedure that begins by cleaning the connection at the idle stabilizer and ends with checking for corrosion in the power supply for the impulse coil. Cline and Vaughn say it's often must a simple matter of a loose or dirty connection. On one occasion a thousand miles from home, our Vanagon's engine died, stranding the Engineering Editor by the side of the road. Under trying conditions -- the VW was packed to the gunwales with friends who hurled epithets about foreign cars -- the EE attempted to effect a cure with his Swiss Army knife. Instead, he discovered an innocuous blade-type connector had slipped apart, which left the entire electrical system without a ground. It's odd that the wizards of Wolfsburg would choose such an insubstantial way of securing such a cricitcal connection.

We can report, however, that after the third stranding and replacement of the fuel pump relay, distributor rotor and ignition coil at about the 11,000-mile mark, the gremlins tired of our Vanagon and departed. The VW carried on for another 13,000 miles with no hint of electrical trouble.

In fact, the second 12,000 miles was rather uneventful from a repair standpoint. At around 16,000 miles the engine began weeping oil. Apparently the pushrod tube seals on either side of the flat 4-cylinder engine frequently become embrittled by engine heat. Commonwealth performed a fix using Porsche 911 seals, more expensive but also more durable than VW's. This was done under VW's standard 1-year or 20,000- mile warranty, which, by the way, has been extended for 1983 to one year with unlimited mileage. Had the Vanagon been out of warranty, we would have been charged three hours of labor and $40 for the Porsche seals for both sides.

Beyond this, there were a couple of routine services, at 15,000 miles and 22,500 miles. At the latter service we had the front end aligned to eliminate some wheel shimmy. At that time the air conditioner belt also needed adjustment. You may recall from the 12,000-mile report that the large overhead air conditioning unit had been a source of constant trouble. We've learned that reliability of the Vanagon's air conditioner is a function of how expertly the unit was installed, which can vary considerably because all of them are dealer installed. For instance, if the stock engine mounts are not changed, the unit will often have chronic belt-throwing fits. For 1984, air conditioners will be installed at the factory in the Fatherland, which should mean fewer problems.

Altogether we paid $253.34 for repairs and routine maintenance during the 24,000 miles. Incidentally, Volkswagen calculates that repairs done under warranty were worth $364. At an overall average of 19.1 mpg, we spent nearly $1700 for gasoline. Including $2945 for depreciation, but not including such variables as insurance, state taxes and delivery charges, the Vanagon cost a reasonable 20.4 cents/mile during our extended-use test.

Besides the electrical system, there was another aspect of the Vanagon's air-cooled engine that continually bugged us: a lack of power. On the straight and level the Vanagon cruised along nicely with a low noise level. But in climbing grades or moving away from stoplights this oversize Beetle is more tortoise than hare. Lack of acceleration combined with an occasionally balky transmission linkage that made finding 1st gear a real crapshoot added up to major frustration at times. Here the water-cooled engine offere some real improvement, with a 22-percent increase in horsepower.

The engine aside, the rest of the Vanagon was a joy. We used it to carry everything from a rowing shell to a hockey team, and it did so with aplomb. The interior proved not only commodious, but comfortable. Our Vanagon GL had none of the austerity of its ancestors, the flower- power, hippy VW vans of the Sixties. Instead, the seats for seven were plush, covered in materials you would expect to find in an elegant European sedan. And the interior stood up well under use too. There were a few minor failings -- a window winder, a side-window seal and a piece of torn carpeting. But at the end of our tenure, the interior seemed nearly as fresh as it did when we took delivery.

Despite the Vanagon's lack of spunk, staff members were otherwise delighted with its character on the road. Drivers unfamiliar with this genre of VW often had preconceived notions of a truck-like ponderousness, not unreasonable considering its resemblance to a city bus. But the first mile usually dispelled such ideas. Time and again, drivers commented on how the Vanagon rode and steered like a regular car.

As something of a backhanded tribute to its maneuverability, several staff members forgot about the Vanagons' bulk. Consequently, it accumulated a few dings and dimples, including a bash on the top when one driver discovered that his garage door opener reduced clearance more than he thought. However, the Vanagon will go through car washes, an important consideration because the tops of vans are always a real chore to hand wash.

We've always thought the Volkswagen to be the best of its kind, especially when pitted against Detroit's offerings in recent years. But now the people-hauler market is rapidly changing. Toyota is entering the fray with its Van Wagon and Chrysler has recently introduced its T-115 and Vista (nee Mitsubishi Chariot). After living with the Vanagon and its air-cooled engine's deficiencies for 24,000 miles, we question whether VW could have maintained its advantage against these newcomers. But with the new Wasserboxer engine, the king of vans has a good shot at retaining its crown.

VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON GL Overall Costs & Costs per Mile for 24,000 Miles Delivered price........................................ $12,895.00 Gasoline (unleaded, average of 19.9 mpg) .............. 1,672.79 Oil (in addition to routine changes) .................. 18.00 Routine maintenance, by the book ...................... 213.34 Repairs and replacements (front-end alignment) ........ 40.00 Total expenditure ................................ $14,839.13

Resale value at end of test period (est. wholesale) ... 9,950.00

Cost of driving 24,000 miles........................... 4,889.13 Overall cost per mile for 24,000 miles ........... $0.204