Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jan 1995 19:20:13 -0600 (CST)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      :)  ... and here he is ... cuddly, furry 'n fat.

>From gremlin@iol.ie Wed Jan 11 19:08:29 1995 >From: "P.J. Kenny" <gremlin@iol.ie> >Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 01:08:22 GMT >Subject: :) ... and here he is ... cuddly, furry 'n fat.

(The lights in the studio dim. The audience starts to stir and a wild tension builds in the air. A spotlight lights a fabric-covered panel with a gi-normous Volkwagen roundel embossed there-on. A dis-embodied deep male voice booms from overdriven Blaupunkt speakers, mounted amid the ceiling lighting rigs ...)

<cue voice> Reverend Mothers, reverend fathers, ladies, gentlemen and peasants, please stand and acknowledge - your friend and mine - Ireland's finest, the vibrant, witty, happy-go-lucky, rapier-witted BUSHRAT!

(The audience goes wild. Lights of incredible hue spin and whizz upon wonderfully coloured backdrops. No-one appears. The studio staff begins to fidgit and really look uncomfortable. The audience's enthusiasm starts to wind down into confused whispers and anxious looks.)

<cue voice again> ... The one and onleeeee, BUSHRAT!

(Still no sign of the rodent.)

(A minion is despatched to the dressing room of the incredibly gifted and popular star. Looking through the window of the gifted and popular star's T4, the minion espies the self-same Bushrat asleep on the rear deck and hears bizarre music - probably Philip Glass - blaring from the Blaupunkt.)

"Ahem, P.J.? You're on, sir."

The Bushrat opens one bloodshot eye, coughs violently and says something rude. The minion gulps, turns pale and leaves. Within a couple of seconds, the Transporter fires up (first time) and, with a billow of blue smoke, heads off into the crisp night air.

.. to be continued. (how d'ya like it so far? :) )

I spent five hours last night (midnight to four am) and three this evening reading vanagon digests for the duration I've been away. Good ol' Galvo saved 'em for me and that megabyte of ramblings has caused me *major* brain fade and severe eye-distortion.

Nice to see some things haven't changed - 170+ vanagon messages in the mailbox one day after re-subscribing. In case you may be curious, England was lovely, I left it as I found it, there were few T2s, T3s or T4s to be seen, but in 3 weeks I saw 2, 6 and 10 respectively. Saw 5 campers, all T3 based. I had access to my aunt's Volvo 340 (eeeuwwww!) which is not really as bad as I thought. Well, anything with four wheels and an engine is acceptable when you're far, far away from home, your beloved T4 and your computer. A funny thing about T4s over there - while more than half of the Transporters in Ireland wear bull-bars, I didn't spot a single one on a VW in Kent. (Is there a reason, Lee?) And every last T4 wore company signage, unlike here where there is a good percentage of people (like me) who drive Trannys instead of boring ol' cars.

Hope y'all had a happy New Year (congrats on the first post of '95, Thom) and my thoughts are with Cal-dwellers. I've got the news channel on beside me - gawd, that weather looks rough! I was disappointed that I didn't feature on the top 25 bandwidth wasters, so I'm gonna make up for the smaller number of messages by generating longer ones, like this. :)

(Derek, it's a joke! I don't mean it! Honest!!!)

I brought back a few things from the good ol' UK, namely a chest infection and 10 lbs of tummy fat. And OS/2 Warp, which partially explains why although I came back on Sunday, I'm writing this on Thursday morning.

And now, the VW content for the purists ...

The big blue thing started first time even though Galvo parked it under a tree that held every incontinent bird in Ennis. The passenger-side wiper has a nut that unscrews itself every nine months and it did it again. And the car that I crashed into (excuse split infinitive) has been repaired by my wonderful body-shop man. Dunno how much it's gonna cost yet, 'coz I've not rung him. Extended credit, doncha know. :)

I'm disappointed that Ric (of all people) didn't realise that I was the errant 'Eurovan' (bleurgh). Well spotted, Norman! (and thanks for the compliment!)

Last thing - after reading tonnes of stuff about you people meeting all over the place, I suggest that all the Irish Vanagonoldiers (nice word, huh?) should meet next Friday night at 9pm at Numero Uno for a pizza. That Ok with you, Galvo? ;)

SCHPONFIRKLE!!! :PJ - the everlasting Bushrat.

- gremlin@iol.ie - patrick j. kenny the oneth - - aka the bushrat - ennis, co. clare, ireland - - vw transporters - tazmania - subaqua - cows - - centaurs - dale e#3 - and other cool stuff -

.. that's the new .sig for 1995. I'm Back!!!