Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         11 Jan 95 21:53:21 EST
From:         Mike Plickys <74462.1273@compuserve.com>
Subject:      Idle and Timing

Lately it appears that my van is running too rich. It idles really rough, and I just had to replace the cat. The van seems to idle fine when cold but gets worse when warm. I've tried to adjust the idle and timing according to the Bently manual without any success. It seems that for some reason I can't increase the idle. I can turn the air screw all the way out but the idle only increases to a point, approximately 900 rpm and will not go any higher. This is with the idle stabilizer disconnected. I've replace just about all the sensors, ie: temp, O2 etc, and adjusted the timing with a timing light. The van seems to run better when the distributor is turned counter clockwise, but is this causing it to run richer? My compression appears fine, approximately 140 lbs on all cylinders. Anybody have any thoughts or similiar problems?

Mike Plickys 1987 Syncro