Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jan 1995 21:18:01 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      '56 progress - 'fridge

Ok campers!

Whilst waiting for the weekend to try and put an end to the transmission saga, I took delivery of a Dometic 'fridge from the one and only David Schwarze.

Tonight I hooked it up to a 12V battery and charger, and much to my dismay, it failed to prove non-operational. Thanks a lot David! CIM.

I was also worried about it fitting in the bus, as I have a westy seat/bed from a bubble-window westy that has since gone on to meet its maker

(moment of silence please)

and my inital gander at the space betwixt the bed and the wall did not look promising.

Well, I got out the tape measure, and it looks like I'll have just about an inch to spare!

I will need to do some engineering on the bed, though! You see, the bed was made to go on the left side of the bus. Well, so was the fridge. On the bed, there are the two parallel sections on the sides that form the edges of the box, one side having a cutout for the wheel well. What I'll do is unbolt the two side pieces, and swap them from side to side. I'll also have to drill out the 4 rivets that hinge the bed, swap the lower half of the mechanical pieces from side to side, and then use a bolt and a bushing to re-assemble the hinge mechanism.

It looks like I'll have to cut an opening in the bottom of the box for the wheel well to notch into, but that shouldn't be too traumatic.

This whole procedure will let me put the bed on the right side of the bus. It will protrude into the door opening about 1-1/2" or so, and I can live with that.

Anyone have any comments, suggestions, warnings, incantations, or just plain cussin', bring it on.

Thom '56 kombi (turning into a mutant camper) -- > Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive. ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................