Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         12 Jan 95 14:22
From:         L.S.Griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk
Subject:      Re: Inline Heaters

Chris (et al),

I did an inline fan conversion on my bay-window. It was a panel van so it didn't have a rear heat outlet.

I have a FIAT X1/9 and they have a pretty powerful fan used to cool the carb. in hot weather. So I got a spare fan from a scrapyard and hooked it up to the tube that goes into the heater exchanger tubes in the engine. I then went to the cab to feel how much air was comming out. It was about the same as before :(

So I figured that the fan shouldn't be at the back coz the pressure drop along the pipe(s) result in zero pressure at the cab. So I hooked the fan up to just below the vertical steel pipe that you can see in the cab. The results were good, with the air actually BLOWING out of the screen vents. I do feel that a more powerful fan would be more ideal, as even with this setup the van didn't get any warmer. It just meant that you could flick a switch and demist the windsheild alot quicker. So basically I installed the fan under the cab floor and as such it would suck the hot (warm!) air from the rear where it was being pumped forward by the engine.

The FIAT fan lends itself to the conversion as it is the correct shape. It looks something like this:

I just cut the large flexible hose that goes to the cab tube and inserted the fan, then bolted it to the cab floor, underneath.

Again the results are not dramatic, and it still depends on the condition/quality of your heater boxes and tubes.

I'll follow this article up with my next idea - water boxes!!

Lee.

Cold '64 Samba L.S.Griffiths@Physics.Salford.ac.uk http://146.87.136.48/