Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jan 1995 08:35:02 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      cleaning up that ratty idle

Mike P. wrote asking us for help in getting the rats out of his engine:

Here's my fix that worked on my '85, I'd posted this earlier but I didn't keep a copy and I'm don' feel up to an archive search this early in the am.

1. Clean all engine grounds, ie the main one on the left side of the block but check others.

2. Switch to the expensive-but-worth-it 3prong spark plugs

3. Replace your plug wires. NAPA has a nice set for around $60-80. I hate the quality of their water-pumps but their wires for the vanagon are nice.

4. Clean your fuel injectors with a fuel injection cleaner system that taps into the fuel rail... NOT one of those cans of mystery cleaners you add to your gas. Well you can use those (Techron is probably the best) but don't expect miracles. I'll try to post a note later on the fuel injection cleaner system I made. Essentially it uses a LARGE can of 3M brand EFI cleaner and has the engine literally run off this can until it is empty. Cool stuff.

These mods changed my '85 from an embarassing ratty idle to a smooth hum and I don't have the compression you do.

Dan (starting to get flack at work re: # messages) Houg