Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         12 Jan 95 14:45
From:         L.S.Griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk
Subject:      The water heater project

Here we go again,

After a long (80 miles) drive last week I decided that something had to be done to my '64 heating system. It's got brand-new heater boxes, with new pipes and it's all wonderfully sealed and it's CRAP!

I relish the days when I get into my FIAT and get out at work (6 mile trip) all red-faced : )

So my friend (Danny, '67 bus) and I sat down to design the ultimate heating system.

Firstly was the design of a water filled heater box. I am going to buy one bare J-tube (cost about 7 quid) this weekend. Basically it's a heater box exhaust tube - without the heater box shroud and fins. I am going to weld a water tight tube around this J-tube as below:

Then (change of tense) add an inlet tube at the bottom towards the rear of tube and an outlet tube at the top towards the front of the tube. We thought that the cold water should enter the water box as far away from the exhaust port (of #3) as possible to minimise exhaust tube cooling. Cooling the exhaust might result in large exhaust pressure difference for number 3 cylinder - something to think about.

Ok so then fit a water pump (electric or fan belt driven) obtained from a junk yard to power the water around. Then two 15mm copper house radiator pipe the water to and from the cab. In the cab fit an all-in-one radiator and fan unit from a, you guess it, small Italian car. Seriously all small water cooled FIATS seem to have these nice little water heater units in the engine bay that consist of a small radiator and boost fan in a nice little box. Connect the copper pipes to the in and out tubes on the FIAT radiator and mount it somewhere under the dash board and err, maybe bingo you have a toastie bus in winter. Well I'll let you know if it works.

Some other points to note are that you will need a header tank in the engine bay to "let off steam" and don't forget that foam lagging round the copper pipes. Don't worry about boiling in Summer, just drain the water off coz you'll not need the heater in summer.

any thoughts ?

Lee

'64 Samba L.S.Griffiths@Physics.Salford.ac.uk http://146.87.136.48