Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jan 95 11:08:30 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      gak! another road test: 1993 VW Eurovan

Volkswagen EuroVan It's a whole new vehicle, but VW's "bus" is still space generous and power hungry European Car, December 1992

After more than 40 years producing rear-engine, read-drive vans (with sales numbering some 6.7 million), Volkswagen brings to market a front- engine, front-drive van called EuroVan (Caravelle and Transporter in Europe). It's an apt nameplate, because this totally new, fourth- generation vehicle was really born of, and designed primarily for, the needs of the European customers -- not that it won't find adherents in America.

Its key strength is that it was engineered to accomodate a tremendous variety of body and passenger configurations. Because it fulfills that function brilliantly, the vehicle is a success in Europe. If fact, VW's huge Hannover plant has been working to capacity churning out the many variations of the EuroVan theme, from extended cab work vehicles to a wind surfer package. And last May a jury of European journalists from 13 countries awarded the Transporter "International Van of the Year" from among 13 other vehicles in its class.

The phrase VW uses to sum it all up is "The World's Largest Van For Its Size." This is no hyperbole. EuroVan is not a mini-van, not is it a full-size van, yet it manages to combine aspects of both without too many compromises. However, offering simply a high level of utility probably is not enough to ensure acceptance in the U.S. market, which has come to expect certain levels of comfort, luxury and performance in every kind of road vehicle. The question for EuroVan is whether its practical features are enough to offset a character that is rather "cold," for it still retains a bus-like nature, particularly in the area of noise, which means a less comfortable, car-like ambience than is encountered in the myriad minivans on the market.

The U.S. will get three models -- CL, GL and MV -- each powered by a 109-hp inline 5-cylinder engine and seating seven. A 5-speed manual transmission is standard; a 4-speed automatic ($895 option) is also offered. Prices range from $16,640 for the CL, $20,420 for the GL and $21,850 for the MV. The popular pop-top version, still built by Westfalia but now called the Weekender, is a $2,530 option of the MV model.

EuroVan's lineup is distinguished from the crowd by a combination of full-size spaciousness and minivan economy. A few numbers of illustration: At 201 cu ft of cargo space, EuroVan CL provides 82 percent more room than the Mazda MPV's 110 cu ft and 73 percent more than the Dodge Caravan. Yet the VW is shorter than a Volvo station wagon, the Toyota Previa, and Dodge Grand Caravan, and it's less than two inches longer than the Honda Accord sedan.

This size advantage wasn't accomplished by simply enlarging the box over the wheels. Compared to the third-generation Vanagon, EuroVan's wheelbase has been increased a whopping 18 in., despite an overall gain of less than 7 in. Front and rear track is, surprisingly, slightly narrower than the Vanagon's, but a new all-independent suspension and a lower overall height means that chassis control has been improved without diminishing the van's "garageability." Other dimensional improvements include a new shape that has reduced the Cd from 0.44 to 0.37, for less wind noise and improved fuel economy (21 mpg EPA highway); a larger 21.1 gal fuel tank; larger wheels and tires (6 x 15s with 205/65Rs); bigger brakes, lower side door step-in height (14.5 in.), lower rear loading height (20.3 in.), and more towing capacity (4400-lb trailer, braked; 1500 lb, unbraked).

One noteworthy dimensional disadvantage in the new package is an overall weight gain of some 400 lb (over 600 lb for the Camper versions). The new engine's 19 additional horsepower and 23 more lb-ft torque offset (somewhat) that added avoirdupois.

And that brings up the EuroVan's major weakness -- engine power. The question is not whether the 109 hp is adequate -- it is, for almost every road challange. The glitch is that the inline five doesn't providea comfortable margin of performance for those instances when a reserve of power is required -- passing, climbing long hills, pulling a trailer. When the driver slams the accelerator pedal, the result is a cacaphony of motor that overwhelms the relative quiet of the van's passage through the air. When cruising, or when the throttle is closed during descents, EuroVan is downright quiet. Given its limited output, the engine does provide a nice, wide powerband, with a torque peak a full 1000 rpm lower than the Wasserboxer engine. But, with several passengers and attendant weekend gear, EuroVan continually sounds as though it's working too hard for the results. For instance, at 65 mph, the engine is turning just over 3000 rpm.

This lack of power also requires active use of the gearshift lever, but, unfortunately, neither the 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic is an example of smoothness. First, both levers, as before are mounted on the floor, and because of the upright driving position all but the very long-armed have to hunch forward slightly to comfortably reach them, particularly if the right armrest is being used.

The manual has those vague, long throws characteristic of earlier vans, and a general loose feeling. But, the correct gear isn't hard to find, including reverse, which was a bear to locate in previous Vanagons.

The automatic, which is much like the unit found in Passats and Corrados (where it hasn't distinguished itself), suffers from a short, inline gate that doesn't offer clearly defined detentes. Even though there is a gear indicator within the instrument cluster, it is difficult to get it right. It was too easy to skip third gear when upshifting from second or downshifting from drive. Even though lock-outs prevent inadvertent choosing of park or reverse, it becomes very annoying having to finesse every shift to avoid bypassing the desired gear. (It would perhaps be a good idea for future versions to use a column-mounted shifter.)

Kickdown using the pedal is also an option for the automatic, of course, but the action is so abrupt, and the engine responds with such a loud cry of revs, that the driver starts to feel he's hurting the engine by asking it for more oomph. Also less than suave are the automatic upshifts; the lower gear tends to be held too long after accelerator pedal pressure is reduced. An electronic transmission program, activated via a dash switch, allows the choice of Economy or Sport shift points, but given the available power supply, it's an almost ludicrous offering.

On the other hand, deserving of praise are the EuroVan's steering and braking systems. The power-assisted rack and pinion setup is direct and perfectly assisted, both when turning and in straight-ahead cruising. A relatively tight 38.4-ft turning circle, though about 3 feet longer than the Vanagon's, allows the EuroVan to negotiate the urban maze with alacrity. Parking is a snap.

The ventilated front disc/rear drum brakes utilize a proportioning valve to help keep the rear wheels from locking up. It's activated by body movement, not only during hard braking but also during hard cornering and when the payload is unevenly distributed. Bosch anti-lock brakes are an $835 option. Pedal feel is nicely linear, and during our stint with the two models we drove, the brakes never showed indications of being extended beyond their ability to haul the heavy van to an efficient stop.

Squat and dive is kept to a minimum by the only independent suspension in the van market. Body lean is present, and it's necessary to help keep the "chop" out of EuroVan's road manners, but it doesn't feel like it's going to keel over in a tight bend. Transitional response is as good as it gets in such a vehicle. With a little stiffer spring/shock rate, EuroVan could be called a "handler." As it is, transmitting a fair amount of road rumble is the suspenion's only significant fault. Side winds, once the scourge of VW van owners, are still felt but they're no longer worrisome. Another advantage of the independent geometry is its compactness; it steals almost no passenger or luggage space from the huge interior.

It's within the cabin's four walls that EuroVan shines. A new climate control system includes front and rear heaters with separate controls, while GL and MV models get a standard front and rear air conditioning system with separate controls. It works quickly and efficiently, the roof-mounted outlets in the rear of the cabin providing ample ventilation for passengers.

No one can argue with the adaptibility and spaciousness of the area behind the front seats. CL front buckets are cloth with vinyl trim and have adjustable heatrests. GL and MV front buckets are full cloth and add adjustable, fold-down armrests.

In CL and GL models, the two-passenger middle seat, with arm rest and beverage holder on the end, can be removed easily for more hauling room. In the GL, it can be folded forward to convert to a tray table, complete with four cup holder depressions. In lieu of the center bench, the MV has two rear facing seats directly behind the driver and front passenger seats. Both seats have adjustable armrests and seatbacks. The seat cushions fold up, theater-style, for more center cabin room, and they can be easily removed. With the optional Weekender Package, the driver's side seat is replaced by a fixed seat with a refrigerator in the seat base.

The rear, three-passenger bench in CL and GL models both folds and tumbles forward to greatly increase luggage capacity. There are armrests and adjustable headrests for each passenger, and the seat can be removed with a simple hand tool. In the MV, the rear bench pulls forward, and the seat back folks down to form a two-person bed measuring 72 x 55 in. The MV also features snap-on curtains for privacy and two storage bins beneath the rear luggage deck.

Dual sliding windows are available with CL and MV models, but they're deleted on CL models with air conditioning.

Westfalia's camper model, the Weekender, features a pop-up roof that houses a two-person bed; side window and rear hatch screens; fixed left-hand rear-facing seat with refrigerator; auxiliary battery; gathered/sliding side curtains; and deletion of the rear a/c unit.

An important component of every Volkswagen is safety, and the EuroVan is no exception. The previous Vanagon had one of the best safety records on the road, scoring behind only the Saab 900 in terms of fatalities per miles driven, and the EuroVan follows a similar engineering approach. The body is a virtual steel cage of pillars and cross members, and a larger crumple zone in the front section provides better head-on crash protection. There are as yet no airbags available. Additional safety touches include three-point belts for all outboard seats, adjustable headrests on all seats, a safety fuel tank, child safety locks on side and rear doors, a center, high-mounted brake light and a safer interior design that has no sharp edges. The EuroVan has passed all four NHTSA crash tests and also passend eight internal standards, including a fixed barrier front impact test involving 36 percent more energy than NHTSA requires.

The entire EuroVan line is protected by a comprehensive five-year/50,000- mile powertrain limited warranty; a six-year/unlimited-mileage warranty against corrosion and rust perforation; and a two-year/24,000-mile bumper to bumper limited warranty that covers virtually all components against defects in materials and workmanship, including light bulbs and windshield wiper blades. The CL is available in Spicy Paprika Red, Arctic White, Platinum Gray Mettalic, and Smoke Silver Blue Metallic, with Light Gray interior. GL models come in Arctic White, Jamaican Aqua Blue Metallic, Bordeaux Red Metallic, Light Sahara Sand Metallic, Deep Atlantic Blue Metallic and Smoke Silver Blue Metallic. MV's are painted Bold Caribbean Teal, Arctic White, Bordeaux Red Metallic, Jamaican Aqua Blue Metallic and Deep Atlantic Blue Metallic.

All VW base coat paints are now water-based, and the top coats contain no lead chromates or cadmium pigments; the a/c is free of CFC's, said to help deplete the earth's ozone layer; the clutch and brake linings are asbestos-free; and many of EuroVan's parts are made from recycled plastics, and others are designed to be recycled when (and if) a recycling infrastructure is established in the U.S.

As we said, VW calls it the biggest van for its size in America, and that's about all you have to know about EuroVan's raison d'etre. If you don't need to haul around a bunch of people or gear most of the time it is driven, then there are a lot of other vehicles that make more sense. If you need an adaptable, stable hauler for your big family or carpool or weekend recreational toos, the EuroVan comes close to a perfect balance between utility and passenger comfort.

1993 VW EuroVan ENGINE STEERING Type .... 5-cylinder, inline, front- Type ............ Power-assisted mounted traversely, cast rack and pinion iron block, aluminum alloy Ratio ................... 19.3:1 head, spur-belt driven Turns, lock to lock ..... 3.5 overhead camshaft, Turning circle, ft ........ 38.4 hydraulic lifters Bore/stroke, mm .......... 81 / 95.5 CAPACITIES in ........ 3.19 / 3.76 Engine oil w/filer, qt ..... 5.9 Displacement, cc .............. 2461 ltr .... 5.6 cu in ........... 150 Fuel tank, gal ............ 21.1 Horsepower (SAE net). 109 @ 4500 rpm Cooling system, qt ........ 12.2 Torque, lb-ft ....... 140 @ 2200 rpm ltr ....... 11.5 Fuel/ignition .. Digifant electronic Trailer towing, lbs braked ......... 4400 DRIVETRAIN unbraked ....... 1500 Type.............. Front wheel drive Cargo volume, cu ft Transmissions ....... 5-speed manual CL model ............... 201 optional 4-speed automatic GL/MV (seats removed)... 195

SUSPENSION FUEL ECONOMY Front..Independent double wishbones, City, mpg torsion bars, 23mm stabilizer bar Manual 5-speed ....... 17 Rear..Independent with semi-trailing Automatic 4-speed .... 17 arms, mini-block coil springs Highway, mpg Manual 5-speed ....... 21 BRAKES Automatic 4-speed .... 19 Type ....... Dual diagonal circuits, Maximum driving range, mi power-assisted, load-sensitive Manual 5-speed ....... 443 optional ABS Automatic 4-speed .... 401 Front ............ 11.0-in. diameter ventilated discs WHEELS/TIRES Rear ...... 11.3-in diameter drums, Size ............... 6J x 15-in. self-adjusting stamped steel with 205/65R-15S radials, DIMENSIONS full-size spare Wheelbase, mm/in .... 2920 .... 115 Track, front ........ 1575 .... 62.0 rear ......... 1540 .... 60.6 Overall length ...... 4740 ... 186.6 Overall width ....... 1840 .... 72.4 Overall height ...... 1920 .... 75.6 CL/GL ............ 1920 .... 75.6 MV ............... 1900 .... 74.8 Weekender ........ 1965 .... 77.4 Ground clearance .... 160 .... 6.3 Curb weight, lbs CL ......................... 3806 GL ......................... 3839 MV ......................... 4246 Payload, lbs .................. 1750 Drag coefficient .............. 0.37 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- (sidebar) A SOTO MEMBER DRIVES THE NEW VANAGON

I have three copies of the John Muir publication "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive - A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot" or, simply, the Idiot Book. The really grimy copy is in the garage, the semi-grimy one is in the laundry room and the barely grimy cpy is under the TV remote in the family room. They have helped me maintain my VW's since the mid 70's when I purchased my first car -- a 1965 Transporter. I would later own a 1972 bus, then a 1973, 1977 and 1978, and I would become a member of the Society of Transporter Owners (SOTO). Like many other bus owners I knew, I had little money and liked the imagery a VW bus conjured on the street. The bus was above all a highly utilitarian vehicle, capable of carrying copious amounts of photographic equipment while staying low profile. As far as imagery goes, that starving artist bit loses some of its luster after a wife, two children and a really big dog.

Although I'm still not rich, I am no longer starving and found it possible to put my family into the last generation of the wasserboxer Vanagon, a Carat model. It was a choice I made after haphazardly checking out my other options: Mazda, Chrysler and Ford vans. I really didn't want one of those; I wanted another Volkswagen because that's the car I grew up in and grew to love.

When Editor Brown asked me to jot down my impression of VW's latest transporter, I was just coming back from a 1200-mile trip in my 1991 Vanagon. It was an ideal time to compare the new van to its predecessors.

The immediate view from the driver's seat of the EuroVan GL's dashboard and controls is reminiscent of a recent model Jetta -- though with a rather upright driving position over a flat steering wheel. That car-like impression abruptly ends when the motor starts. The 2.5-liter Audi engine produces a surprisingly high-pitched noise for an inline five. Through the gears (five of them in the GL I drove) the EuroVan engine continues its buzzing under acceleration, quieting only when the throttle assumes a total cruise attitude. At 65 mph the five is turning over at better than 3000 rpm. With maximum torque of 140 lb-ft achieved at 2200 rpm, the EuroVan is certainly quicker out of the hole, but I doubt if anyone would consider it as a two vehicle for, say, your average ski boat. However, the impressive 0.36 drag coefficient is very apparent at higher speeds when the van feels like it hunkers down in an aerodynamic crouch. This is when the Vanagon <sic> really starts to shine; like the locomotive of the TVR train.

Through mountain terrain, the Vanagon's <sic> new torsion bar front suspension geometry excels, capable of outmaneuvering all the vehicles of its type but the the best of the car-like mini-vans. Engineered with a longer wheelbase, larger 6 x 15-in. wheels and lower aspect 205/65 radial tires, the EuroVan manages road irregularities in a very capable manner. Braking too is improved from the previous generation with ABS and slightly larger ventilated discs; then again, the EuroVan is nearly 400 lb heavier, so better brakes were definitely required.

In terms of cargo capacity and ride height, the third and fourth generation Vanagons <sic> are virtually identical. The seating arrangement ensures that you can indeed fit seven people in this vehicle and provide the people in the aft of the cabin with their own AC unit. This is a good idea as there are no functioning windows in the GL behind the drivers seat. There are also a few more cup holders than before (replacing those awful holders perched precariously between the front seats of the Vanagon, which the average owner -- or owner's kids -- would break within two weeks of ownership. I broke both of mine on the first road trip), but they still aren't of the best design, allowing my medium diet soda from Mickey D's to flop around precariously.

Yes, i'm being picky on the cupholder thing, but I also plunked down a lot of money for my Vanagon. EuroVan owners will do the same, and VW can't really afford a near miss in today's crowded market. I still love my Vanagon, and there's little about that EuroVan that would make me want to abandon my wasserboxer in favor of the new front-driver. -- by Les Bidrawn