Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jan 1995 13:50:18 -0500
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      Re: [A] Camper woes

Dan,

Let me tell you another story about my '73 Westy. Had been driving it daily for about 6 months with no problems. Suddenly started running rough and stranded me. Would not idle & ran rough. Though it felt like fuel starvation so I questioned the fuel pump. Got a new fuel pump & installed it in a Wall Mart parking lot. (there's nothing like the feeling of your skin burning from gasoline as you are trying to get a pencil to plug a fuel line.) Crank it up, same problem. Next suspect, clogged fuel lines. Replaced every inch of fuel line with new German hose. Crank it up, same problem. Didn't want to leave it in the parking lot overnight so I drove it 3 miles to my ex-girlfriend's apartment & she drove me home.

The next day I went on to my next suspect, vacuum leak. Replaced all intake manifold gaskets. Crank it up, same problem. Spray ether all around manifold, no leak. Next suspect, carbs need rebuilding. Rebuilt both carbs. (man do those 1700 stock carbs have enough parts or what?) Crank it up same problem. Next suspect, faulty emmision equipment. Take out dual carbs, intake manifolds, air pump, exhaust gas recirculation, plug extra holes in heads, put in new manifold & Weber 2 barrel progressive. Crank it up, same problem. Gave up.

About a month later picked up 2 barrel Solex, decided to give it a try. Same problem. Decided I was not going to let this thing get the best of me. By now I am convinced it is a vacuum leak somewhere. The only other vacuum line that I haven't replaced is from the carb to the vacuum assist brake servo. Replace with German hose (expensive). Still no help.

Well I decided this weekend to put new brakes on the beast and sell it to get it out of my yard. Crawled underneath to take a look at the master cylinder. FOUND MY VACUUM LEAK. There is supposed to be about 6" of rubber hose going from the hard plastic brake vacuum line to the brake servo. I haven't been able to drive this thing for six months because I am missing about $0.50 worth of f%cking rubber hose.

Replaced hose, cranked it up, & it ran fine.

Aren't VWs fun?

61 Single Cab Pickup Dave Easterwood 61 Double Door Walk-Thru Panel deasterw@st6000.sct.edu 61 Deluxe Beetle 66 Westfalia 66 Deluxe Bus 66 Sunroof Deluxe Bus 69 Rust Bug 73 Westfalia 77 Westfalia