Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jan 95 13:08:49 PST
From:         David.Kao@Eng.Sun.COM (David Kao)
Subject:      Re: Brake service

My 84 vanagon, at 101500 miles, has gone through brake jobs many times so far. Since grinding rotors costed about $8.00 a piece in my local gas statitions, I decided, what the heck, no grinding!!! I just replaced pads and that's it.

I replaced rotors the 2nd time when the 2nd set of pads worn out because the rotors seemed have reached the thickness boundary. The 3rd set of pads went again a while back and I am running with the 4th set of pads.

As far as rear brake drums, they seem last forever. I have taken the drum off many times and each time I was disappointed that nothing needed to be done.

Installing new pads without grinding rotors seemed work fine. I did not feel any brake problems. I did encounter a hicup and realized that after market pads did not work well. I tried several brands, including Metal Master. I ended up with 2 sets of after market pads sitting around in my garage. One of them were on the vanagon at least 500 miles. After replacing with dealer pads the brake returned to normal.

David Kao 83 Westy, 84 Vanagon dkao@eng.sun.com