Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jan 1995 08:03:53 -0500 (EST)
From:         ad793@freenet.carleton.ca
Subject:      Vanagon Disaster Prevention

This is for those of you who are "fortunate" enough to own a Vanagon with an oil cooler. CHECK IT NOW ! Before it's too late ! The other day it was -35 out, yes I said -35 and that's centigrade for you Americans, my female partner went out, started the van to warm it up for her drive to work. After having some breakfast and getting dressed she went out and next thing I hear is, FRANK ! something's wrong with the van !. Well, I go to look and see a large puddle of oil on the snow and it's pissing out from somewhere underneath like there is no tomorrow. SHUT IT OFF, I YELL ! So..I go get dressed and open the garage and start it up and back it in and it's making like the crankshaft wants to come out and the racket is deafening or is it my imagination thinking of how expensive a new motor is ! So....I get it in the garage and fill it with oil and start it to see where the leak is... ya hoo ! Found it, behind the oil filter, so what's this gizmo behind the oil filter anyway ? Well, it turns out to be THE OIL COOLER !, I didn't know I had an oil cooler ! So I go about taking the oil filter off and finding the nut that holds the oil cooler on and find out that it's loose. I decide to tighten it before looking more as it seems complicated to remove it. Well, it still leaked so I had to remove the cooler to find the BROKEN O-ring behind. Whether or not the -35 temp. had anything to do with this is not sure. All I know is that the van got started at -35 without the aid of the blockheater which was plugged in but the DAMN GROUND FAULT DETECTOR detected ground and NO POWER.....THANKS A LOT ! After rumaging around in my junk I found an O-ring to fit and got the engine going but was making a loud clacking sound, sure sounded like a rod bearing to me, BUT after some investigation with a srewdriver as a sound probe the noise was detected near the top end of the cylinder under the alternator. Taking off the valve cover while the engine was running and prying on the rocker arms a bit the noise went away when I did the second rocker in. COLLAPSED lifter ! YEA !. Not a rod bearing ! Well, the moral of this story is, check your oil cooler and change that O-ring if it's suspect. Mine was cooked - hard - brittle - so the high oil pressure at - 35 startup blew it, most probable scenario. I guess I was lucky that the noise was just a collapsed lifter, it COULD have been worse !

Cheers,

Frank, how long can a Vanagon engine run without oil ?

-- * Frank Condelli * Kinburn, Ontario, Canada * * ad793@Freenet.carleton.ca *