Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jan 1995 01:38:59 GMT
From:         "P.J. Kenny" <gremlin@iol.ie>
Subject:      .. while we're talking about wipers ...

Before I start, I paid my bill for the damage the big blue thing did when it ate the butt of that Cavalier, before Christmas. Two hundred and fifty pounds and four pence. That is roughly $450. A lot for an unemployed Bushrat. :( Mebbe I should save money and sell my computer :} Apparantly, the rear lights on those suckers are verrrry expensive, as is uncrumpling the bodywork. Good testimony to the qualities of T4s, though. Besides a cool-looking severe bend in the bottom bar of the bullbar, the big blue thing is undamaged. Next week , I might even open the bonnet (hood to you colonials) and check if the engine's alright. :]

Anyway, to the point ...

It's funny that wipers should be so popular. Steven's '91 T3 and my big blue thing (the '91 T4) might be twins. (Or it could be a rare VWirus)

Please bear in mind that I sit in the right hand seat when driving my Transporter, not the left. That info might prevent your brain from melting while trying to figure out the problem. This is a view from inside ... ____________________________ / \ ... ahem. A drawing. | ## | This is supposed to be my | ### | windscreen. It's the first | ## | ascii drawing I've tried, so | _________ __________ | stop laughing. I'm no artist. \__________}______________}__/ <-- They are wipers (I think.)

The area marked with the hashes denotes the place that the wipers fail to clear properly. It's also the area of the maximum sweep of the passenger-side wiper. So what happens is that rain in that spot remains there and gets blown all over the place when the wipers go on the downstroke. I've bent the wipers, the arms, the blades; I've bought new wipers with cute little aerofoils at fifteen pounds a pop; I've put bizarre toxic chemicals on the glass to make a more viscous passage for the blade. Hell, I even tried to buy those five-in-one blades thingies this afternoon, but they were an inch too short.

Another T4 I know has the same difficulty. I'm not too sure about young Galvo's Tranny, it being a '94. What's the tale with the other Transporters out there? (OK, I might call 'em Eurovans to help you along (choke!))

Ric? Cetin? Well??? :)

SCHPONFIRKLE!!! PJ - the ever wipering Bushrat.

- gremlin@iol.ie - patrick j. kenny the oneth - - aka the bushrat - ennis, co. clare, ireland - - vw transporters - tazmania - subaqua - spumco - - centaurs - dale e#3 - and other cool stuff -