Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 03 Jan 1995 13:27:38 +0500
From:         anon869@vt.edu (Christopher Bridge)
Subject:      Re: motor swapping

>Chris Schalick writes: >> >> Would I need, say, a garage full of large red tool chests and heavy >> equipment to pull this off or is this something that is more or less part >> replacement? > >The tool chests would help. Another Chris mentioned that the 1835 "kit" uses >the stock stroke, which means you wouldn't have to split the case, but you >still have to drop the engine and remove the heads. > >> I've never dropped the engine in a bus (or actually anything larger than my >> lawn mower), so I am speaking from my wealth of inexperience here, but I >> thought there was some machining involved in the big bore beefups. > >You would probably have to have the heads flycut to fit the larger bore >cylinders but that's not a big deal. If you don't have them already, you >should probably go to dual port heads with bigger valves to take advantage >of the extra displacement. A machine shop could take care of all of this >for you for a few hundred dollars. Money well spent, IMO.

We would all like to get our VW's greater hp with the least effort. To build this size ( 1835cc 92mm X 69mm) engine you must split the case to have the case bored. It is true that there are "slip in" kits for 87mm and 88mm bores. With a stock crank, this gives 1641 and 1678cc. The 87mm is a safe way to go- altough there are as many opinions about motors as there are people. The 88mm is generally not recomended. There is some confusion on what flycutting is. Flycutting removes metal from the large flat area on the heads. This is done to either increase compression ratio or to flatten the heads-cylinders mating surface. Under no circumstances have your heads flycut to increase your compression ratio- this is a great way to burn up a motor. To fit the case and heads with the 92mm jugs both the case and the heads will have to be machined.

>This would not be a simple or fast project, but there is nothing that hard >about it either - just a lot of work. If you have the time, I would >recommend it - it's great experience, and I think you would be happy with >the results.

Agreed- with care this could be a good reliable motor- machining is required. Chris Bridge.