Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jan 1995 23:53:14 -0800
From:         rickgo@halcyon.halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      re: how about a NW gathering

> >Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 12:34:05 -0800 (PST) >From: Eric Oster <ekoman@u.washington.edu> >To: vanagon subscribers <vanagon@lenti> >Subject: How about a NW gathering? >Message-ID: ><Pine.A32.3.91c.950110122918.71953A-100000@homer22.u.washington.edu> > >I think the majority of us in the Pacific Northwest live in WA.W, right? >(With a few in BC/OR.) The travel distances would be fairly short, I >would think. And everyone would get to see the `66 bubbletop camper >with the `76 Pinto taillights! (I DID NOT DO THIS!!!) And it would give >me some incentive to put the new transaxle in, so I could make the trip! >

Just got around to reading some of my backlog...

Suits me, but if its not a weekend its got to be first week of April.

Here are a few ideas for locations: La Push. (I like the coast, don't know if there is electric though). There's a campground area on 1st Beach, not far from 2nd Beach, etc. Ft Worden (the park by the lighthouse - there are RV hookups there but lots of pavement too. Still, there is the hill behind it, potential for beach fires, good exploring, and with enough people would probably be fun) Ft Flagler - haven't been out there but I've heard enough that it has potential. Deception Pass - basic campground. Nice before Memorial Day. Downside is those A6 jets testing out carrier approaches w/ afterburners (aka "The Sound of Freedom") sometimes. There is another park on 101, south of Quilcene, right on the water. Can't remember the name right now though. Any idea if Heart of the Hills is open at this time of year?

Other places in the mountains that I know of are probably not the best to go to at this time of year. (Flooding, snow, mud, slides, etc.).

That's my US$.02

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA ---------------------- Public Key Fingerprint: 05 BA 16 DF CA D4 E2 25 F0 C7 44 D0 47 40 10 2A -----------------------------------------------