Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jan 95 09:59:00 gmt
From:         A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk (Andy Erskine)
Subject:      Re: Inline Heaters

>Someone mentioned how they thought my idea of a power supply fan would >be ineffective. Well I tested it by using a 9V battery, and blowing >thru an 18 foot linoleum roll. The result? Pretty darn good, and >prolly a bit better than the amount of air you get up an the windsheild >of a split window bus anyway. So I'm going to go ahead with my plan. >The only difficult part will be finding scraps of pipe to use - I don't >wanna but a who length just for this experiment!

That was me, Thom. I didn't mean to pour cold water on your idea, but all the power supply fans I've seen have been small and quiet things. The fan I put in was BIG and bloody noisy and blew a huge amount of air when I tested it before fitting it. (It also draws a lot of juice and flattened my battery pretty quick while I was trying it out) But once its in the bus and trying to push the air through all that convoluted ducting, there's not a whole lot of power left by the time it gets to the windshield. This is just my experience FWIW. The results were disappointing, although still a big improvement, so I'm going to try a different approach with two fans.

Andy E.

A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk