Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jan 1995 17:55:14 -0500
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      F/ But Interest'g Article 4x4s

I was looking in my computer tonight and I found an old file with the text of a posting I made in 1989 to the Limbo newsletter. I thought its contents are still interesting and/or amusing enough to repost to the list. I have added a very few comments from the present time (December, 1994).These comments are in paragraphs which begin "[1994 Comment:"

NOTES ON THE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE BUS __________________________________

THE NUMBERS.

Many people are aware of how rare the Vanagon four wheel drive Syncros are in this country but noone seems to have a handle on the exact number of syncros sold. When I set out to find a used Syncro Camper it took nearly two months and over 1,000 phone calls around the country to locate one. We all hear about how exclusive vehicles are like the $38,000 Range Rover, but many thousands of these are sold every year.

Some research turned up the following numbers, which refer to the number of vehicles sold in a particular year, regardless of the model year in which the vehicle was manufactured.

NUMBER OF VANAGON SYNCROS SOLD % Syncros which Non-Camper Camper Total are campers

1986 1,316 285 1,601 18% 1987 1,219 515 1,734 29% 1988 573 119 692 17% 1989* 157 97 254 34% TOTAL 3,265 1,016 4,281 24% *through Nov. 15, 1989

These statistics reveal an interesting picture. The bottom line is that Syncros are really rare, especially the camper. The United States allotment of Syncro Campers in 1989, for example, would average only two vehicles per state!

The numbers seem to contradict the conventional wisdom that hardly any Syncros were sold in 1986 and that the first year the Syncros were sold in any number was 1987. It would appear that sales during the two years were roughly equal.

It is inescapable that the trend in Syncro sales started slow and has proceeded to drop every year. I suspect this was due to a lack of promotion on VWs part once the initial sales push proved disappointing. Since VW was said not to have sold a 1988 Syncro, one can assume the cars sold in 1988 were actually unsold 1987 models. My own camper is such a model, and will still be under its two year warranty into the fourth month of 1990.

[1994 Comment: I crashed this 1987 camper and it is now cut up in pieces (with my sawzall) and is in my father's attick. I did this because he forbade me to park a wrecked car on his property, saying it would make his house look like it belonged in the Ozarks. Little does he know, the whole car is now over his head. I bought the 87 camper from Ali Haji Shiek, the football kicker who muffed a superbowl kick shortly before I bought the van from him. They must have fired him, because he was at that time working as a VW car salesman.]

The third trend of interest is that the percentage of four wheel drive Vanagons which are campers is rising. Campers comprised only 18% of Syncro sales in 1986 while Campers were 34% in 1989. (1988 sales of campers were down again a bit, probably due to the need to sell off the regular Syncro Vanagons left over from the 1987 model year).

I believe the steady rise of Camper sales as a percentage of Syncro sales is because only the Syncro Camper is unique, unlike the basic van, which has to compete in a crowded minivan field.

THE COMPETITION.

The Mazada Multi Purpose Vehicle is interesting, in that it has a big engine, four wheel drive versions, and a camper package on the way. Unfortunately, it only has half the interrior volume that the Vanagon has. The Toyota minivan, which also has a four wheel drive and camper package, is said to handle like a delivery truck and forces the people in the front to sit on the engine (ick).

1994 VANAGON

It may be that VW's enthusiasm for the current Vanagon is dwindling as it prepares to introduce it's 1994 front engine van, which will have a six-cylinder motor. This vehicle will also have optional four wheel drive, and a optional short and long wheelbase versions. Any readers who might be tempted to wait to pick one of these things up, however, might want to think twice after looking at spy photos in the automotive press.

The new car has lost all remaining charm that VWs vans ever had. It looks like a cross between a Ford Aerostar and a Chevy Astro, with the worst features of each--an entirely forgettable form. The looks are so plain, in fact, I suspect VW is probably going to have to redeisign it again before introduction. Or perhaps they've simply decided to abandon pretensions to building a cute, consumer oriented van. As a sort of industrial or delivery vehicle the new car will blend right in with the competition and do fine.

If a few less campers are sold, why should VW care in the larger scheme of things? From VW's point of view, even if the profit on a Syncro Camper was $5,000, 97 sold would yield about $500,000 in profits, enough to pay the salaries of three top executives, period.

[1994 Comment: I was wrong about the date of introduction for the "1994 Van," as I called it, since we know now it was introduced in 1992. Also, the four wheel drive and long wheel base versions were offered in europe but not in the USA.]

A negative sort of person might even say the introduction of the new Vanagon will be the final death for the loveable type II, and all current type IIs will thereupon become irreplacable. (Think like this enough and you'll go crazy like I did and empty countless cans of wax rust-proofing into and under your car.) The lineage might thereupon look like this:

pre- '67 cute; hints of the great 60s; looks a little fragile

post '67 bus loveable and fun looking, sort of like a puppy dog

vanagon neat, interesting looking, almost like some kind of space-vehicle or military vehicle

post '94 Ford Areostar look-a-like

[1994 Comment: Do you guys agree with my characterizations?]

SYNCRO SUSPENSION

A note is necessary before closing on the syncro suspension, which would more properly be called defective than inadequate. The car wallowed so much when we first picked it up I actually got carsick even while I was the driver!

There is no antisway bar made for the syncro, so I took it to Bohemia, New York-based Dennis Haynes, who does excellent work on VWs generally. Dennis fabricated a special mounting plate for the regular Vanagon sway bar, as he had done on his own Syncro Camper, and the car felt 80% better. The other 20% came from buying new light truck BF Goodrich All-Terrain radial tires with stiffer sidewalls, size 27 x 8.50 14, as Dennis had recomended. The stiffer light truck sidewalls provided an excellent anti-sway effect and we're now really happy with the suspension.

We like the larger size of tire because of the heavy off- roading use we put our camper to, but we do not recomend this large size to other Vanagon owners unless they have a special interest in gaining more ground clearance. That's because our accelertion times have dropped back to the level of the '72 camper due to the effect the larger tires have on gearing. Also, if memory serves me correctly, you are supposed to have 6" rims to mount this size tire. The 5-1/2" rims run by most Vanagons (except those with the 6" alloy wheel package) is too narrow.

Derek Drew