Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 1995 20:28:39 -0500
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      Old Bus Backfire

I'm the newsletter editor for the local bus club here in Atlanta.

Even though the things in here are very regional I thought maybe some of you might be interested.

Probably of most interest is our Vintage Volkswagen Show which will be held June 25th. Last year we had over 30 split window buses, over 30 bubble window buses, a couple of split window bugs, and a handfull of oval windows.

I want to invite any of you who can make it to join us this year.

Anyhow, the following is the latest newsletter:

Greetings!

Greetings bus enthusiasts! I hope everyone is hitting on all four cylinders and keeping your oil changed. Sorry for the length of time since the last OLD BUS BACKFIRE but the holidays and new year kept us all very busy, as I'm sure it did you. Now I'm sure you're dreaming of getting your bus ready for a fun-filled year of bus- related action. Remember... this is your club! If we're not doing something you think we should do, let us know. Communication is the best way to start the ball rolling.

Upcoming Events

Mar. 12 PST's Club Meeting

We will be having a meeting of PST on Sunday, March 12th, at the 60's style McDonald's again at I-575 and Hwy. 92 in Woodstock, Ga. (not N.Y.). The time will be 3:00 p.m. with a caravan leaving from Southern Tech in Marietta at 2:00 p.m.. We encourage everyone to attend as will be discussing important points and encourage everyone to attend. If you can't drive your bus that's okay, come out in whatever gets you there.

Jun. 2-4 Buses on the Blue Ridge

We have been asked to coordinate a caravan from the Atlanta area to "Buses on the Blue Ridge". This could turn out to be a great bus gathering if what we're hearing from other NEATO chapters is true. Let us know what you think about where we should meet, when we should leave, etc.. This event is happening on June 2nd thru 4th.

Jun. 25 Vintage Show & Shine

The biggest and best air-cooled VW show in the southeast will again be held at Southern Tech this June 25th. This show is sponsored by Peach State Transporters and will most undoubtedly be even bigger and better than the last two years. With this in mind, we will need much more help from club members to be able to host a really great show. PST is the sole sponsor for this event, so please volunteer! We will start getting together to work everything out soon. Also if you have suggestions on how to make the show even better let us know ASAP.

PST's October Meeting Report

On Sunday afternoon, October 30th, a group of members met at Southern Tech to caravan up to the McDonald's in Woodstock. Those in attendance were Tim Humphries - 63 Crew Cab, Steve Wiltin - 66 Hardtop Deluxe, Dewayne Epperson - 67 Crew Cab, George & Bobbie Ratteree - 75 Westfalia, Dave Easterwood - 77 Westfalia, Mell Wallace - 85 Cavalier, Chris Johnson - 87 Diamondback Bicycle, and Mike Todd - Audi. Allen Becker was out of state and couldn't attend so Dave Easterwood presided over the proceedings. Among the items discussed were the club meeting schedule. We decided to try to have a meeting every other month. Another thing that was suggested was having an additional swap meet sometime in the year. And finally, we all agreed that everyone in the club should chip in a few dollars to Allen to help defray the cost of putting out the newsletter and mailing it to everyone.

After the meeting we all went outside to look at all the buses. As we were doing this Chris & Trish Martel passed by in a 72 bus and noticed us and stopped to talk. Turns out they also have a 59 Single Cab (unfortunately, since the meeting it has been wrecked).

Bulli Brigade & Bug Jam Report

On November 11, a group of members met to caravan down to Tampa for two VW shows. In the caravan were Allen Becker - 87 Plymouth Voyager, Tim Humpries - 63 Crew Cab, Nick Azzolesi - 65 Kombi, Dave Easterwood - 77 Westfalia, and Pete Durand hitching rides with Nick & Dave.

It was a LONG ride down, but when we got to the campsite around midnight we were happy to find some friends from Tennessee and New York already there.

The next day at the Bulli Brigade we saw other PST members Mike Todd and Doug Davis. This was a great first show and our hats go off to Mike Brown for getting thirty or so splits together (of course a couple of them were from our club!). We can't let these guys beat us, so make sure you can get your buses ready by June 25th!

The next day we took in the Bug Jam. This is a really big show with a huge swap meet. There, we ran into PST member Bob Hagen and a friend, John Aracri - 62 23 window. Some of us had met him surfing at Cape Hatteras last summer.

The drive back was an adventure, because we weren't sure Tim was going to make it. He was blowing oil like Ol' Faithful, but eventually made it home!

Classifieds

In this issue we are placing a few classified ads below. If you would like to sell something (VWs - not small appliances), we will place the ad as space is available.

*1967 Hardtop Deluxe, camper interior, rebuilt engine, needs a good home. Jerome Hires 975-7757 days. $1500 *1966 Hardtop Deluxe, complete, needs minor work, Tracy Connor $3500 *1963 Single Cab, James Norris (912) 471-9597 Macon $1200

Write Us!

Peach State Transporters is the official Georgia Chapter of NEATO and can be reached at:

Peach State Transporters Allen Becker 3065 Valley View Drive Powder Springs, GA 30073 (404) 943-3491

P.S. Remember to be on the lookout for potential club members. We are always happy to send out info about the club to anyone whose name & address are provided to us!

--------------------------------------------------------------- * 59 Dbl Dr Walk-Thru Panel Dave Easterwood * * 61 Single Cab Pickup deasterw@st6000.sct.edu * * 66 Westfalia * * 66 Deluxe Bus 61 Deluxe Beetle * * 66 Sunroof Deluxe Bus 69 Rust Bug * * 73 Westfalia 77 Westfalia 74 Thing * ---------------------------------------------------------------