Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Feb 1995 12:59:45 -0400
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: VW's Hydraulic Crusher

>Are the press fitting tools that come down from the press and that press >things supposed to be attached to the face of the press as it lowers? I cannot > see any way to do this.

Nope, just line 'em up good!

> >How are they protected from side to side slipping?

The bits you push with must be made properly, turned on a lathe, and have FLAT and Square (90 degrees) ends. They won't tip since you are pushing straight along their axis. Keep them as short as possible. Good support plates, those wierd pieces with conveniently shaped cutouts to hold your axle mounts say, are the real key. It's usually the part that's resting crookedly, not the plunger. Keep the plates/pushers as grease free as possible, sticking friction is your friend in keeping pieces for entering your frontal lobes at high speed. 25 tons is a helluva lot of power, it'll break most components if not decently seated flat. Press fit parts tend to stick due to coldwelding when assembled, by applying some modest load then a 'smart' rap with a hammer you can often loosen things that would otherwise take a large amount of hydraulic pressure. There is no real feedback on a hydraulic press, so you can get very high loads rapidly without feeling it. The PSI gauge is just numbers. I prefer a bench mounted screwpress with a large hand wheel. I can feel the load applied, and the ease of motion when it starts, as well as when it hangs up. I've used these for ball joints in front arms etc., and no seals to leak! Any chance to get the VW bits and pieces with the press? Worth their weight in gold!! or.. Find a surplus metal dealer, and get some good flat stock in various thickness to make base blocks up from, let them do the cutting/finishing. Keep the stacking to a minimum, the more layers the greater the chance of something slipping. 1/2 inch Lexan will stop most of the heavy traffic BTW. tim s.