Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Feb 1995 11:49:21 -0800 (PST)
From:         Marcus Doherr <mgdoherr@ucdavis.edu>
Subject:      Re: Weird '81 westy gas guage

On Mon, 20 Feb 1995, Larry MacPhee wrote:

shortened:

> when we're getting low on gas, but the replacement gas guage behaves as badly > (or perhaps as well as) the first. > > Symptoms: Fill the tank and the guage reads full. Drive a bit and the guage > dips to 1/2 full, back up to 3/4 and after driving a bit more down to 1/4 and > sometimes towards empty. >

I experience the same problem with my '80 Vanagon Camper: the guage reads full after refill, drops to half within 50-70 miles, jumps around a bit (especially when vertical or horizontal forces are applied) and disappears to the left after approx. 120 miles....

I think - with reference to some earlier discussion on this list - that is related to

(1) the weird shape of the gas tank; (2) a malfunctioning (misadjusted) sender unit (located in the tank).

Possible solutions:

(1) Drop the tank and adjust/replace the sender; (2) Ignore the problem and rely on known fuel consumption and driven milage (I get between 15 - only downtown - and 24 - pure highway - mpg with a camper conversion/pop top and 2.0l FI w/ 4gear MT) (3) Install one of these fancy computers that measure miles driven, actual fuel flow etc etc etc, and ignore everything else that you ever looked at.

Marcus '80 Vanagon Camper, 2.0l FI

**************************************************************** Marcus G. Doherr, Dr. med. vet. Graduate Group Epidemiology VM: Medicine & Epidemiology UC Davis, CA 95616; USA Phone (916) 752 6409 (Office 1136 MS1A) (916) 752 6409 (Graduate Group Office) (916) 753 0816 (Home phone) FAX (916) 752 0414 (Department Office) email: mgdoherr@ucdavis.edu