Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Feb 95 11:58:12 PST
From:         Al Knoll <alf@hpptc38.rose.hp.com>
Subject:      Red Rocks News and more

Ruby (the red brick 4WD B&B) and I wandered off to take the air this past weekend and happened to pass through Red Rocks SP on the way to Furnace Creek.

Here's a little poop on the faculty and facilities.

Had a nice talk with the Red Rock Ranger Rick and we discussed the letter from David. A few interesting points were made. The space limit is 50 spaces and these are first come-must occupy-no saving space for your buddies-type spots. He mentioned that that weekend would be smack dab in the middle of their high season with flower connersewers from all over coming to wander about and see what the wettest winter in recent memory can produce. When I mentioned 20+ VW vans his eyes rolled back in his head a bit and he said he could put us on a large, flat parking lot (primitive=> no WC, no PT, no TP, no HS, no FR) some 1.5 miles from water and the visitor center. Not nrubin's idea of camping as I understand it.

Red Rocks itself is reminiscent of SE Utah, Canyonlands NP style. Colorful, desert environment. The camping area is treeless and clustered near some pretty cliffs, great for sunning. I suppose there's lots of hiking about and the terrain is certainly dramatic. There is water, pit toilets, and a nice visitor center.

My personal feeling is that given the proximity to LALA land, we'd all have to get there Thursday night to get spaces near each other. But, hey, it's always an adventure when you're out and about the great American West.

The rest of the weekend was terrific too. Sacramento to Red Rocks via the superslab cost 7hrs + of exhiliarating I5 travel, yakking on the CB, watching the left laners disappear in the distance and enjoying the fog. Trip to DVNP and Furnace Creek with it's usual load of vacationers and my friends from the Norcal BMW Club and the AirHeads BMW affiliation and The Friends of Wiley Coyote. The astronomical events of desert stars, moonrise over Winnebago, lots of meteors were quite enjoyable while waiting for the sourdough to bake, the micro-chickens to magically become chickenette au vin and the rosemary potatoes to permeate the desert air with their enticing aromas. Dinner and an 89 Kendall Jackson Chardonnay followed by a handfull of the local dates and a wee dram of 18yr MacCallan made a sumptuous ending to the day.

Pink dawn painting Telescope peak and a cappucino before a quiet walk to pick dates and the morning shower got the day started just right. A bit of $1.70/gal Chevron and off to Furnace Creek Inn for the Sunday Brunch after packup brought memories of years ago. Same place, different times. Watched a resplendent raven in his Sunday finest courting his date at the local dumpster and drove off to the dunes at Stovepipe Wells and on to Panamint Springs.

A possible option to Red Rocks might be Panamint Springs Resort, located as you might expect at Panamint Springs on US190 east of Lone Pine. I stayed there Sunday night. They have motel, restaurant, hookup, and tent site accommodationsalong with a pot bellied pig named Charlotte, a very friendly abyssinian cat named Taz, reasonable food, HOT SHOWERS, FLUSH TOILETS etc etc.

Eight bucks for tent site, 15 bucks for full hookups in the shade of the tamarisk trees. The location is 2hrs/50mi from Saline Valley and Palm Springs for those who would like the naturist view of a desert oasis. They also have a multi-acre area where we could "circle the wagons" so to speak and they do take reservations. The local views are specatacular with the snow capped Panamint Range and the sand dunes. Death Valley proper is 86mi away with its date shakes and milling throngs of "snowbirds" and LALA land tourists.

The mosey up the Owens Valley included a micro tour of Keeler, a stop at Schats bakery in Bishop, Roi Ballard's Smokehouse in Bishop and a nice snowy climb up Deadmans Summit in crystal clear air and desert blue skies. Mono Lake was the precious azure jewel that I remembered from last fall and Hammerbachers Store is still for sale in Coleville. Daggett Pass and and an espresso at Harrah's then US50 back to the valley got bag,bus,baggage,buns home at 9PM.

Fine weekend in the mountains. ~950 miles at a moderate mosey.

PT=Pit Toilet, WC=Flush Toilet, TP=Toilet Paper, HS=Hot Shower, FR=Fire Rings

-- -- ___ / __ __/ ____/ Al Knoll HP Performance Technology / / / / / Center Roseville, CA, USA 95747 / _____/ / / 916.785.5317 (Telnet 785-5317) / / / / email: alf@hpptc44.rose.hp.com / __/ __/ ______/ ___________________________________/