Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Feb 1995 21:18:05 -0800 (PST)
From:         Mike Catlin <mjcatlin@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us>
Subject:      RE: Anyone have a Eurovan Diesel?

On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Jones,Rich wrote:

>...Is the Vanagon diesel engine unique > to the Vanagon, just as the Eurovan diesel is? If so, have you had trouble > finding parts at reasonable prices? What about competent service (or do you > do it yourself)? > > Rich >

The Vanagon diesel engine is not unique, but all the parts used to make it fit in that body are. The engine is the same used for the diesel powered Golf/Rabbit/Jetta application, and there was a turbodiesel version, too. The engine mounts, heat sheilding, sump, starter, bellhousing, pulleys and drive belts, oil pump or oil pickup pipe, flywheel, clutch (maybe), transmission input shaft, ring and pinion, coolant plumbing, intake and exhaust manifolds, air filter, and exhaust system are all different from any other application. The thermostat is the same, except a little hole to let air bubbles out. The injector pumps may be different, but they are interchangeable if you change out the lever that connects to your accelerator cable. My plastic air filter housing cracked and cost US$170 to replace. Starters have been expensive, too. The turbo diesel version must have additional differences, but I have never seen one so cannot comment.

Mike Catlin <mjcatlin@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us> '82 Vanagon Diesel, '84 Jetta Turbodiesel, '78 Rabbit Diesel, '78 Rabbit f.i., and a '72 Land Rover 88!