Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu,  2 Feb 95 11:39:24 PST
From:         Steve Reilly <steve@caliban.ucsd.edu>
Subject:      RE: tinting vanagon windows

I've had two vanagons tinted ('84 and '90) and found that, for the area where I live, the darker tint is best. Summer gets HOT in San Diego, and the dark tint keeps things nice and cool in there. I usually keep a surfboard of two in the back of my '90, and the tinting keeps the wax from melting and the boards out of sight. It's also a nice private place to change into and out of my wetsuit! (I know, I know... all this surf talk is hard to relate to for most of you, but hopefully you get the picture about the positive aspects of darkening the windows...Also, a vanagon really is the best surf vehicle around - lots of space, good mileage. Oh, for a syncro Westy...). When I had the '84 done, I took the 'low bid' route, and was sorry. The place that applied the tinting film did a poor job of cleaning the windows, and the film bubbled in little places within about a year. So, my advice is pay a little extra to someone who will do the job right, or (if you're brave) do it yourself.

------------------------------------- Name: Stephen B. Reilly PO Box 271, La Jolla, CA 92038 USA E-mail: steve@caliban.ucsd.edu

This message was sent by Chameleon -------------------------------------