Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Feb 1995 13:51:14 -0500
From:         conkaj@aur.alcatel.com
Subject:      RE> Excessive Oil Usage/15 Inch wheels

okay, i've had to break my code of silence and post....

a bit of experience to share with the tire issue, i've run 15" tires on my '78 bus without difficulty or speeding ticket, so outside of the absolutely fascinating mathmatical possibilities available in this situation, the rubber will roll, and turn.

as for the excessive oil usage, i'm in the same boat. last september i started getting excessive oil drippage which turned out to be the case bolt which acts as the support for the oil drain assembly. there is a bolt which in my model (2000cc) holds the pan on and also the screen etc in the bottom of the case. this assembly has a bracket which the case bolt went thru and somehow thru time and probably overtightening of the oil drain bolt, the case bolt caused the case to crack where it screwed in. a rare case of bad design, i'd say. the case bolt was screwed into a tapped hole which was merely an aluminum blob cast on the case and it makes sense that it wouldn't put up with much torque in any direction besides in/out.

i will also say that there is a lesson about overtightening the oil drain bolt in this engine model or others like it. so the saga continues...

after two engine outs, we decided to rebuild the engine with a new case, reworked heads, bearings etc, but no new cylinders or pistons. we did put new rings in. since then i have found that the engine is using almost exactly what you describe as a quart per 200 miles. my guess in my case is that i need new cylinders and pistons since there is no apparent drip and everything else is new. it runs fine altho maybe a bit shy on power up hills.

there is also no big blue cloud out the back. i am also partly mystified and would like to hear from others who know of such things. i did hear that a good way to test compression and the cause of loss of such is to do the following...

a. test the compression b. squirt some (2-3 Tbsp) oil into plug hole c. test the compression

apparently if your compression increases greatly, its your rings, since the extra oil will compensate for any wear. if not then you have head problems since the oil will not assist in that area.

as the sign says...

Tips are greatly appreciated.

Andy

conkaj@aur.alcatel.com

'74 beetle (pepito) '78 bus (katanka) '71 westie (nameless until a suitable adventure)