Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Feb 95 22:49:18 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Gas tank Questions

On Sun, 26 Feb 95 17:22:04 CST Richard said: >1. How big (capacity) are late model tanks?

16 gallons from 1968-1979. actually 60 liters.

>2. How big are vanagon tanks?

also 16 gallons (60 liters). now ...there IS one replacement tank that i know about, made by Oettinger. it's 100 liters, or about 26 gallons. that's the good news. (it was built for their 6-cylinder U:berBus).

the bad news is (1) they don't want to import it (the tank) into the u.s. (because of our over-population of lawyers ... sorry, ric ...), and the one u.s. distributor that i called (in california) said it would be at least $800 for just the tank IF he could get it in. :(

>3. What's the biggest tank you can fit in a '67 bus?

from the pictures i've seen, you MIGHT be able to fit a larger tank in that area, but it probably wouldn't be more than about 18-20 gallons.

>4. when changing gas tanks, you must also put in the new sending unit >along with the new tank, correct?

yes .. and no. there are generic sending units for any old tank. but they work with generic gauges as well. in other words, your gauge is pretty much set for your sending unit.

>Richard, tired of filling up so often.

yup. so far, all my planning and scheming and drawing and searching and all that other junk has resulted in the conclusion that you pretty much has to live with it, and if you got on trips, get some 'jerry' cans or do some really detailed planning.

joel