Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Feb 1995 10:33:44 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: brake system vacuum leak

> there's only so much vacuum volume in your reservoir. You should only > get one or two soft brake applications with the engine stopped before > the reservoir runs out. It's just an emergency thing so that if your > engine stops while you're driving, you can safely stop the vehicle. > > As for the sound, is it not just the normal power assist hiss?

Hi. Thanks for your reply to my puzzle. The vacuum hiss is ever present when the brakes are applied as of late. Never heard it before. Had the car since new (1988). Instead of a sudden vacuum hiss upon applications, it keeps hissing as long as the brake is applied. It sounds like the vacuum can't keep up with the draw from the power booster. With the engine off, and with the pedal depressed and held, you can hear the vacuum bleed off, and the pedal goes "hard"... meaning you need mega force to apply the brakes as there is no boost. I suspect the vacuum is totally depleted, whereas, as you say, you should get a couple applications before this happens. I guess what I am trying to say is that vacuum is not being held in the power booster. All lines look good (no chaffing or cracked lines), and connections look solid.

I'm not sure if this is a safety issue or not as the pedal feels fine as long as the engine is running. Do you think this can wait until a more convenient time?

Thanks again for your time.

Harry. ------------------------------------------------------ Harry Yates Internet: hyates@bcit.bc.ca '90 Syncro Westfalia '87 Golf Diesel