Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Feb 1995 13:05:45 -0800
From:         kwiebe@nwrain.com
Subject:      Distributors

I hope this info helps (esp. for Mark Sabourin). Over the past several months, I've become very familiar with the effects of distributor tinkering on my 71 bus...

When I got my bus, it had the 009 in it, and didn't run too bad except for a pronounced "flat spot" going from idle to higher RPM's. At first, I thought this problem was caused by carburetion, so I began tinkering with the 1971 34PICT-3 carb (bad idea). I never could get rid of the flat spot.

Around this same time I ran across some articles describing this problem, and they mentioned the 009 distributor's lack of vacuum advance (it's centrifugal ONLY) as being the main source of the flat spot/hesitation. I decided to put the stock distributor back on (obtained at a junkyard), which is vac adv and centrifugal.

It turns out the 71 is probably the worst bus to put the 009 on, due to the 34PICT-3 carb and it's underjetting and measly accel pump response at the low end. a 3/93 DBHVW's article suggests you can drill out the carb, but the real culprit is not getting enough quick spark advance (provided by the vac advance distributor).

I don't know which bus you have, but this may help you out with your decision on which distributor to use. The 009's are readily available, anywhere from VW shops to mail order (including JC Whitney). But I like the idea of having both vacuum and centrifugal advance - a good compromise.

Good luck