Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Feb 1995 20:29:21 -0800 (PST)
From:         Paul Sogge <sogge943@uidaho.edu>
Subject:      the bizzare

I've got a problem with my '78 bus which is very interesting, but unappreciated.It goes like this: If the engine is running, and if I pull on my lights, and push down on the brake pedal, I can turn off the key and pull it out and put it in my pocket, etc., and the bus will still be running. Not dieseling, mind you, but running, as in I could drive to the store and back, provided I didn't turn off the lights or take my foot off the brake (I didn't say I could drive to the store quickly).We can go at this problem a different way: If I start the engine (maybe if I just turn on the ignition--I should check), then if I push on the brake, the dash light comes on just as if I'd pulled on the lights. Take the foot off the brake, and off go the lights. You see what I mean. So there is a short somewhere, and it involves three things: ignition, brake (lights?), headlights (switch?).I should mention that if I have the engine running and the lights off and put on the brakes, the dash light does come on but not the headlights. Anyway, the bus runs fine, but I'm afraid the short is a bad thing waiting to get worse. I have looked a bit, but without luck. Has anyone ever had this kind of problem? Does anyone know exactly where I should look? Does anyone (I'm starting to dream) know not just where to look, but which wires (color, please?), exactly, are likely at fault? I'm easily confused. Please help me. Regards, Paul Sogge