Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 03 Feb 95 11:42:53 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Craftsperson Tools

On Fri, 3 Feb 95 10:35:20 CST James Brill said: >I was thinking I might go buy some tools soon and wanted some advice.

ha. :) firstly, when thinking about buying Sears CraftsMAN tools, ALWAYS check the sunday papers first ... sears puts a lot of 'sets' on sale, especially around men-type holidays (father's day, washington's birthday, davy crockett festival of the appalachicans, etc.) ... and you might find a set more suited to your needs for a bit less, or with a 'thrown-in' toolbox.

>have, at Sears, this huge metric set for something around $100. Just >sockets and ratchets if I remember. It has 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" >ratchets. This seems like a better deal than the mongo huge sets with >metric and american sizes. Yes? Also, what should I have in the way

go to the Sears store and get one of their Hand and Power tool catalogs ... check for a mini-mongo set, with screwdrivers AND ratchets and sockets and etc. my own personal opinion is that you should start off with 3/8" set of sockets (metric, of course) from 9mm to 19mm, box-end wrenches, open-end wrenches, and a 1/4" drive set (metric also). you don't need any SAE sizes to start, and you don't really need any 1/2" drive stuff to start. you can pick this up as you need it. about all i ever use my 1/2" stuff for is the lug nuts and big stuff like that. all else is 3/8".

>will need a torque wrench. Assuming they come in sizes, what size >drive do I want for this? TIA, Jim

this depends on how much torque you want to measure. the 3/8" sizes go up to about 80 (?) lb-ft, whereas the 1/2" sizes go up over 130 lb-ft. the only times i use my 1/2" size is on the lug nuts again ... the 3/8" size gets used more often.

other essential gizmos you'll need to buy along the way: - mechanics mirror (little mirror on an extendable handle). helps look at things where you can't get your head in there. - flourescent trouble light. DO get the flourescent kind. it is SOOOO much nicer when you bump your arm/hand against it!!! (those round incandescent things will burn your skin, and the bulbs are not very resistant against dropping). - two kinds of grabbers: one magnetic pickup (little magnet on extendable handle), and a claw-pickup (has little metal claws that grab). these are absolutely essential when you drop the only nut/washer you have down in an unreachable place. and this WILL happen. :) - reamer. looks like a screwdriver or awl, but it has cutting edges all down the side. used to ream out (make larger) a hole. very handy. - hex-head & torx-head socket set (eh? maybe later on. but very handy)

joel