Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Feb 95 10:56:29 PST
From:         STAFFORD@ZENITH.dnet.hac.com
Subject:      Re: 73 Westy into California...how hard?

I made a couple calls this morning and here's what I found out.

1. I phoned the South Coast Air Quality Management District and talked to a Dave Cole. (800)CUT-SMOG I told him that I intended to register a '73 Bus w/smog from Canada. Dave said that there's a $300 impact fee and I'd need a smog certificate ($20-40). Then go to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles for the tags. Dave referred me to the Air Resources Board.

2. I phoned the CA Air Resources Board (818)575-6800 and spoke with Tom from El Monte. I explained my intentions as above. He said that I must write to VWoA or VW of Canada and request a letter stating whether or not the vehicle could be made to comply with US standards and CA emissions. The letter should state what additional equipment is required (if any) to turn the bus into a US model. It's up to the manufacturer to supply this information.

Tom and I discussed a scenario in which smog equipment may be missing or altered. The jist of it was that money was no object when making a vehicle comply with emissions standards. "You mean that I could put $2K of smog parts on a $1K vehicle?" "Yes."

Recently I replaced the 1700 w/carbs with a 2000 FI engine from a wrecked '78 westy. I did this for two reasons. One was to get smog back on the car. The 1700 needed up to $1400 in smog equip and that's just for the parts (carbs, air pump, egr heads, etc..) The other reason was the horsepower of the 2000 and the hydraulic lifters. Well, there's a third reason. I could head a rod bearing breaking up on the 1700 and bits and pieces of it were ground up and stuck in the oil strainer screen. :-( They're making it easier to send your old cars to the crusher in CA. I decided to try and keep 'big orange' on the road a few more years and help us all breathe a little easier.

Jack stafford@zenith.dnet.hac.com '93 Campmobile (orange)