Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 05 Feb 1995 15:43:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Skip Correll <CORRELL_SKIP@a1.cps.k12.tn.us>
Subject:      (f) Question about a Thing Transaxle

I do not wish to tie up the list with non-bus questions but I hope someone with more experience than I can help me with a problem in one of my other Volks.

The transmission (transaxle?) in our 73 Thing has begun to give problems going into and staying in reverse. This is very typical of the breed so it isn't totally unexpected. I now have to decide what to do about it. As I see it, there are three options.

1. Replace this unit with an earlier one; those did not seem to develop the problems with reverse. As far as I know, matching them up is no problem but there is a significant difference in gear ratios.

2. Order a rebuilt replacement unit from one of the places advertising in the VW mags. I lean to this as the most economical and feasible; however, I may not be able to get the same gear set at a reasonable price so I'm back to problem one.

3. Have a local VW guy whom I know and trust rebuild what I have. This will cost a little more and I'm not sure if it's the best long term idea because of the reputation this transmission has for giving trouble with reverse.

4. Another option that hasn't occurred to me that I can't see; the old "can't see the forest for the trees" syndrome. Have I missed something?

If someone, anyone, has experiences/advice to share about this problem I would appreciate it. I haven't gotten much response to my request on the Thing list so I wanted to try here. To keep from tying up the list please reply to:

correll_skip@a1.cps.k12.tn.us

Gerry and Joel (and others) have enough to monitor without trying to ride herd on a forward charging 181.

Peace, Skip Chattanooga, Tn