Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 05 Feb 95 17:41:27 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      story: crossing the Sahara - part 2

Crossing the Sahara - Part 2 VW Greats, Winter (no idea what year).

The Sahara taught us our first lesson half a hour after we entered it. In the blowing sand we could barely see 50-feet. Suddenly a soldier appeared in the headlights. I had to swerve hard to the left to miss him, then yank back to clear a roadblock, and stand on the brakes before a spike-studded tire trap at the end of the pavement. Everything in the van came crashing forward.

We opened the side door of our van, facing the sand storm, and surveyed the mess. Food, maps, parts, gas and water cans were piled on the floor. The cap had come off one of the water cans and 5 gallons of water were pouring over everything. Luckily it wasn't punctured and we still had 20 gallons in reserve.

The soldier directed us off the pavement and into some truck ruts that led to an old roadbed. That was about the last pavement we'd see for 2,000 miles.

Bouncing down the washboard roadbed we had no idea where we were headed. We resolved right then never to try driving in the desert after dark again. Heading in the wrong direction, it wouldn't take long to get hopelessly lost. The Sahara is a hell of a place to be lost.

Forty miles further we spotted the campfire of some Germans we'd seen back in Elgolea. We decided to camp with them and continue together the next day. Morning showed the track to be the right one. In fact it was the only one. This corrugated old roadbed was the main route for all traffic to and from Africa.

After months of preparation we were at last in the Sahara. We had worked out a 2,000 mile study-tour through most of Africa. But before we reached our goal we had to cross this monster. Covering an area the size of the entire United States, the Sahara stretches coast to coast across the top of the continent, forming a permanent challenge to all North- South land travel.

We were on the Hoggar Track, named after the Hoggar Mountains near Tammanrasset. It runs over 1,300 miles from Elgolea, Algeria, to Agades, Niger, and is the only route across the Sahara presently used with any frequency. The oasis of Ain Salah, Tammanrasset, and Agades divide it into 3 legs. The longest would be from Tammanrasset to Agades, some 600-miles without gas or water.

Our vehicle for the trip was the save VW van we'd converted for off-road camping (Fall, VW GREATS). If you didn't read that story, let us review our conversion. The rear fenders were cut out to accomodate 10x15 Norseman Tires. Heavy-duty shocks, a Tri-Phase air cleaner and a plywood interior were installed. We cut a window in the side, raised the bottom- ing stops and packed a Benelii Volcano 180cc mini-bike on the back bumper as an emergency vehicle.

The work was done in Germany, so the drive down through Europe gave us a good chance to shake down the camper before attempting the desert.

Daylight provided us our first good look at the Sahara. The land stretched level to the horizon in every direction. It all looked exactly the same, like the floor of a huge gravel pit, covered with fist-sized black basalt rocks interlaced with sand. Down the middle ran the road, plowed out of the same basalt and sand, pounded into endless miles of bone-jarring corrugations by the huge Saharan trucks. We would develop a real hatred for these washboards in the days ahead.

There are a number of theories on the correct driving technique for washboards. Some say to lower your tire pressure and try to average 45 mph. This is supposed to prevent metal fatique in the torsion bars. Our German friends thought they could save their shocks by going 50-60 mph and staying on top of the corrugations. We had 2,000 miles off the pavement ahead, so we adopted a go-slow approach, keeping to about 20 mph and trying to save everything.

Within 100 miles the Germans had blown the sides out of 2 tires. They only had one spare left. Reluctantly they decided to give up and turned around. We were sorry to see them leave - now we were really on our own.

The map said the flat area we were on was the Plateau du Tademait. The road through it became steadily rougher and more and more tracks led off the road as truckers sought smoother going. Eventually we pulled off too; we found they were right. We raised our speed until we were able to do 30-35 mph. To prevent drivers from getting lost, 10-foot poles topped with large white arrows have been implanted along the road. The tracks we were following drifted further and further from the road. For most of the afternoon we needed binoculars to keep the poles barely in sight.

We couldn't spot another living thing anywhere. Hour after hour we banged along on a changeless treadmill through the howling sand, alone in this dead emptiness. At sunset all the tracks returned to the road. Just before paths merged the plateau broke off suddenly, falling 300 feet to a valley floor. We carefully wound down the incline and stopped for the night at a small Algerian Army road camp.

The sergeant in charge came out and invited us to dinner. Over roast chicken, oranges, and the last of our scotch we chatted for ours in broken French. It's a lonely life they lead here. He seemed glad to be able to entertain someone from outside. He said about 2 or 3 private cars and 5 or 6 trucks passed by every day, but no one ever stopped.

Next morning we drove for several hours on to Ain Salah, passing through a land of grotesque wind-carved bluffs. Then the landscape smoothed out again and we were able to get off-the-road and hit speeds of 50-mph.

Ain Salah rose miles ahead as a mirage, slowly precipitating itself into a shady oasis of date palms. It was built by the French, of brown adobe, as their capital of the sands. Once it had been a major Foreign Legion fort; now the sands were reclaiming their capital. Many of the streets were buried several feet in sand. But the atmosphere was cool and restful, a pleasant relief from the desert glare.

We bought some local Tuareg turbans here. They proved excellent for keeping the constantly blowing sand out of your hair and ears.

We met another German and his frauline who were waiting for someone to continue with. The man had made the trip 2 years ago, so knew the route. He said he ran a VW repair shop back in Hamburg, so we figured we'd found the perfect guide, mechanic and companion for the rest of the crossing.

There was a third German camped near the airstrip. He'd been there for 3 weeks waiting for a generator and regulator to be flown in. There are no parts, not even tires available anywhere - just gas and oil. Some- times even these are scarce.

We left Ain Salah and quickly turned off the road again. With the big tires we cruised easily over the sand. But our German companion, Hans, got stuck once. We shoveled out under his tires, laid down sand mats, and pushed him out with little trouble.

After several hours the land became more rolling. We lost the sense of the desert's vastness as every few miles we'd top another rise and be presented with a whole new landscape. Canyons and mesas appeared and slowly fell behind. As the angle of the sun changed in the afternoon, colors deepened from tans and grays to reds, purples and blacks. The scenery in this section is truly magnificent.

Soon we came to a small waterhole about 20-feet deep. By lowering a pail on the end of a rope we were able to draw bath water and scrub off a 3-day layer of red dust.

Fifty miles further, a Land Rover was broken down beside the road. Sixteen Africans were packed into it! One of their front suspension bolts had come off. We gave them one that was a loose fit. But they tightened it down, piled back in, and tore off toward Ain Salah.

The next morning Hans' battery was dead. It was 4 years old. Heat had evaporated it bone dry. We got him started with booster cables, but it failed to charge during the day. We traded him the extra one we'd brought for our refrigerator for another set of shocks. Our first set was destroyed after 400 miles of the heat and corrugations.

The temperature had climbed from 40 degrees in the morning to 100 degrees by mid-afternoon. At dusk it dropped 45 degrees in an hour.

We started for Tammanrasset the next morning, climbing into the Hoggar Mountains. The scenery changed again, but the road didn't. It was wash- board almost all the way. Near the airport we struck pavement. It gave us a chance to listen to the van. Everything still sounded fine.

Tammanrasset has become something of a snob appeal spot with the jet- setters, so pavement has been put in to usher them from the airstrip to downtown.

Like Ain Salah, Tammanrasset was built by the French. It has the same brown mud architecture and relaxed way of life. We arrived on Saturday. The police station we were supposed to check in with before proceeding was closed until Monday. There was nothing for us to do but pitch camp under the palms and wait it out. The shops were also closed, but we had a 4-month food supply and 2 weeks of water. So it was no real inconvenience. We feasted on freeze-dried steaks while Tuareg camel drivers across the street munched on their ancient food, handfuls of dates.

For centuries these wandering camel masters have ruled the desert. Distaining any manual labor they raised their camels, composed love songs and exacted tribute from the subject people of their realm. It was not until 1934 that the last band of these "blue men" (so called because the dye of their robes stained their skin) was pacified. Today the only mystery about them is how they manage to survive just laying around all day doing nothing.

Shortly out of Tammanrasset we witnessed an example of one way - a camel and rider galloped from the dunes toward the road a mile ahead. Nearing the road they slowed to a trot and finally a walk. As we approached, a body fell from the camel and dragged itself to the road- side. It turned out to be a 14 year old boy. He gestured frantically with an empty canteen for us to stop. We filled his canteen and gave him some cookies. Next he wanted cigarettes. We finally pried his fingers off the door handle and pulled away. The entire drama was reenacted for Hans 2 minutes later. The canteen we'd filled was already bone dry. He must have poured it out in the sand.

>From here on we saw several Tuareg camps a day. At each one they came running out with their bowls to beg for food, clothing and cigarettes. It appeared many of their camps were strategically located near the worst sand traps, so they could beseige stuck drivers.

On this final leg to Agades the traffic dropped off sharly. Where before we'd meet 5 or 6 truckers and travelers every day, we now went for 2 days until the Algerian-Niger border without meeting anyone.

The road ended at the border. Leading away from the Niger Custom Post was a sign saying Agades pointing up at the horizon, and a series of black marker posts about a mile apart, to keep you heading in the correct general direction. It was left to you to choose your own route through the low piles of sand and gravel. There were hardly any tracks to give us a hint of the best route. Hans got stuck in the sand before going 200 yards. With our large tires we sailed past him to the next gravel pile and pulled him out from there.

As we drove on the tire tracks became more numerous. Apparently many drivers had swing around out of sight of the customs post to run the border. The tracks spread out in all directions. The markers became fewer and further apart. At points we drove twenty-five miles without seeing a marker. It became increasingly difficult to tell if we were going the right way. The terrain flattened onto another plateau making the situation even more confusing.

Finally we took the mini-bike off and used it as a scout vehicle to find the main track again. We'd come to a particularly sandy spot. Then the tracks would take off in all directions as each had tried to find the easiest path.

Many of the ruts were over a foot deep. We continously bottomed out, but we kept the big tires turning in low gear and they somehow pulled us through. Hans got stuck every few hours, so we spent a lot of time pulling him free.

With all this first-gear driving, and 125 degrees heat, our gas mileage fell off. We started with 40-gallons for the 400 miles. Now I was worried we wouldn't have enough, so we changed back to our regular tires and the mileage improved dramatically.

For another 2 ays we scoured the Niger desert for tracks. We could now see a few clumps of dry grass. Gradually short thorn trees mingled with them. As we continued south the trees grew larger, sand-filled dry washes become more frequent, and now and then a patch of green would show through the brush. We were nearing the edge of the Sahara. The tracks finally met a sand road at In Gall.

Three hours later, we reached Agades, the official end of the desert. The van is still running fine. But it looked like a sand dune, as it was covered with dust.

We've found a small campground here with a palm-shaded swimming hole. You could probably float a tire iron on the thick green water, but after a week and a half of sun and dust, the swim felt great. The palms are full of colorful songbirds, and an old Frenchman who lives at the camp supplied a refrigerator full of cold beer and soda. He's been in the area for 34 years developing his own little paradise on the edge of the sands.

We would have loved to just lay there in the shade and relax for a couple of months, but we've got another 9000 miles of Africa to start on, and they say the stretch from Agades to Zinder is really rough.