Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 06 Feb 95 13:38 PST
From:         Scott Harvey                         <CNETSAH@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
Subject:      Tinting Completed

To follow-up:

I had all the windows tinted (except windshield). Cost was $250.00; $50 discount due to winter slow season). It took the guy six hours and he ended up removing the window beside/ behind the closet. The tint is by Lumar - aluminum based 65% grey. Great job and thinking about the labor, removing the window, number of windows, and his knowledge/skill, worth the price.

Some knowledge I acquired during my estimate search: - Lumar tinting is supposed to be the best for vehicles. Two of the shops only used Lumar. The place I had it done at used both Lumar and 3M but they use Lumar for vehicles and 3M for homes/ business' - There is aluminum and titanium based tint. The metal base is for resisting turning purple over time. But the titanium will have a noticable 'chrome or metal' look over time. - As I mentioned I picked the 65% grey. This was the medium they were offering. This came out a little darker than I was hoping for but not bad. A 55% or even a 60% would have been more about perfect. The light tint was I think 45% and this would have been too light. - For the FAQ (as someone suggested) Calif. does NOT allow any tinting on the driver and passenger side windows. The place I went will remove the tint for free if I'm stopped and issued a 'fix-it' ticket. And further, they'll reinstall it for $25 once the fix-it ticket is taken care of. Only in America!

-Scott. '81 'falia