Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Feb 1995 14:49:26 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: westy auxillary battery

Michael Heron writes: > > along a similar vein: > > i would also like to put an additional 12 volt deep cycle battery in my > buses (65' and 73' both 12 volt) so that i can run my accessories without > killing my startup battery. Has anybody performed this (what i hope is) > reasonably staightforward operation. If so i would like to hear about it > too.

Okay, I'll talk if you promise to truncate quoted material in your posts. :) :-) Actually, it's really easy with the 73 (not sure about the 65). I put two large deep-cycle batteries to the left of the engine, opposite the normal battery, and separated them from the normal battery with an RV battery switchamabooblethingey which looks like a standard starter solenoid (SSS), but has a metal case and is a continuous-duty unit unlike the SSS. The solenoid is actuated via a wire run to the front of the bus and hooked to the ignition switch so that it is only on when the bus is running, not when off or starting. Once that is done, just attach your accessories directly to the aux. batteries, and you are good to go. Oh, a voltmeter is helpful to monitor the condition of the extra batteries. Remember, fully charged should get you around 12.7 volts, and when you get near 12 volts you know the end is near - don't drain the batteries any further (or they will die prematurely). Preferably use a digital voltmeter, and if anyone can tell me where I can find a digital voltmeter that fits a standard gauge mount (2-1/4" or whatever it is) I will, uh, ummm... I'll shake yer hand prodidgeously and punch ya in the arm he-man style. Oh, JC witless has the digital voltmeters but they are expensive even before you include the shipping charge. Oh, the solenoid is avaliable at Camping World for under $10. Look next to the battery isolaters (but don't buy the isolator!!). Cheers, -David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) San Diego, California '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) schwarze@nosc.mil http://papaya.nosc.mil/~schwarze =============================================================================