Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 07 Feb 95 08:34:00 MST
From:         M.Radtke@az05.bull.com
Subject:      RE: More battery stuff.

Hello,

1) If you are only interested in 12 volts for the refrigerator, perhaps the refrigerator can be modified for 6 volts. If it is the usual absorption cycle type, the power is only used for a heating element and perhaps a light. It might be possible to modify the existing element, or just to make a new element to do the job. This should be low tech stuff.

If it is the electronic, Peltier (sp?) type, a bit of rewiring should do the trick ... two 6 volt strings of diodes rather than one 12 volt string. This is a bit higher tech.

However, if the refrigerator is of the motor/compressor kind, the motor is probably sealed and you are out of luck.

2) If the refrigerator can't be modified, or you need other 12 volt capability, the charge one, then the other trick should be quite workable. Some set of high current relays would be needed, but the idea is to charge on battery in parallel with the existing bus battery with the other 6 volt battery in series with this, adding to 12 volts for the load. While driving, it would be good to automatically switch the batteries positions every so often (5 minutes?) to keep the charge and discharge cycles shallow to preserve battery life. When the engine is off, there is no need to swap the batteries periodically, but they do need to stay connected in series to provide power to the 12 volt load. The dumb refrigerator won't notice the switch at all, but something electronic, like a radio will experience a moment of discomfort.

In general, I have a lot of difficulty deciding if an how to make posts here. There seems to be a lot of variation in knowledge among the folks on this list. So, please forgive me if I have bored you or insulted you intelligence with my post. Perhaps if anyone wants to discuss this further we should use email directly.

Mike

Michael A. Radtke - Z74 Voice: 602-862-4897 Bull FAX: 4853 13430 N. Black Canyon Hwy. Phoenix, AZ 85029 Email: m.radtke@bull.com