Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Feb 95 9:09:46 MST
From:         aburczyk@dres.dnd.ca
Subject:      Re: Goodly type news

I got a fuel injection system out od a wrecked '79 last year and found that relay had been placed in parralel with one side of the dual relay. It seems to have been one of those cheap indestructible 30 amp relays that you get from radio shack. The plug to the old dual relay was intact however they had used wire splice connects (those crimp connectors that snap over the wire and bite through the insulation to make a contact) to place the new relay in parrallel with the old half of the dual relay that had gone unserviceable. By looking in the circuit diagram it seemed fairly easy to do and it allowed the original dual relay plug to be used so that connections were not lost in the spagetti. Although I have a spare dual relay I've been thinking of just wiring in a couple of extra relays in parrallel as a backstop since the original dual relay is fairly long in the tooth and its failure will stop you dead most probably when you need it most. I always beleive in backstops and fall back positions and carrying a lot of spare parts. That is why I have 2 parts buses as well as the runner.

Andy Burczyk

'73 bus > > > After reading the many words of encouragement offered, > I ran right home after classes and bought a new rotor, a new > cap, dug out a condensor I had in my glovebox. > > I was hoping not to have to yank out that one thing to put on > a new other thing, but I had to to hook up that green wire > and that one black wire going to that shiny thing. > > So I got my distributor out, and started tearing it apart. This > was something that had managed to escape my tools the previous > couple of times I had been working on things. I soaked all the moving > parts in bicycle chain lube until all the black icky crap was all gone, > wiped off the excess, and threw it back together. > > It was totally amazing how much better it idled. Apparently a sticky > breaker plate is very bad? ;) > > The only other bad part was my Fuel Rehection still is goofy > BUT I was trying to unplug my dual relay, and I hear this wierd noise.. > turned out somehow my fuel pump was turning on and off just from wiggling > the plug. > > I think I _finally_ may have a handle on this thing, and can resume > a normal life where I turn a key and the engine starts without have > to run jumper wires and wiggle and shake crap to get it to work. > > Anyone ever built a dual relay from discrete components? > Ever found one for very cheap? Or a wiring harness? > > Oh, someone asked about an idle stabilizer. I don't think > there is one? I think the bypass screw is the only thing > you get to fiddle with on the older ones, which I think is good. > > Sorry for the length. Its a bit like when you were learning to tie > your shoes..on days where you could do it, you felt pretty damn cool. > when you couldn't, you felt like a fool. thank god for velcro... > > >att >